Security Installer Community

Newlec "protect 2" Alarm System

Hi - I have just found your website/forum and am hoping you can help.

We moved into our property a few years ago and there is currently a Newlec "Protect 2" alarm system in the house - which consists of: front door and patio door sensors and 3 x PIR's. The control panel looks like a basic box with a key to turn on/off and we have the bell box on the front of the house. I am keen to replace this ancient looking kit for a new alarm and have been considering an Avanti alarm system with remote keypad (which also uses a keyfob (red/grey) to turn the alarm system on/off.

My question is, is it possible to just change the control panel, PIR's and still use the existing wiring? i would probably also want to add a few extra PIR's and remove the door sensors completely? or do i have to rip it all out and start again/

Although I am not an electrical whizz, I do consider myself a pretty good DIY'er.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Dan

Hi Dan,

Your existing system is very basic and you are right to replace.

Never used Avanti but i would suggest a Gardtec CPX panel that you can wire into your phone line. If activated then your mobile/landline will be called telling you the alarm has activated. You can get a CPX keypad that will arm/disarm using G/Tag fobs.

I would suggest replacing the PIR's with the bosch blueline quads.

For external bell we use he Gardtec XS3D bell and have not had any problems up to date with them.

Why not get 3 quotes from approved companies for the upgrade?

Good luck on the install!

!

Hi Dan,

Your existing system is very basic and you are right to replace.

Never used Avanti but i would suggest a Gardtec CPX panel that you can wire into your phone line. If activated then your mobile/landline will be called telling you the alarm has activated. You can get a CPX keypad that will arm/disarm using G/Tag fobs.

I would suggest replacing the PIR's with the bosch blueline quads.

For external bell we use he Gardtec XS3D bell and have not had any problems up to date with them.

Why not get 3 quotes from approved companies for the upgrade?

Good luck on the install!

Thanks for the advice - but do I need to replace all wiring between the bellbox, control panel and PIRs - or can i use existing wiring?

cheers

Dan

Guest RJBsec

Depends on the wiring, if it's at least 6-core it should be suitable for most systems.

The Avanti is a budget panel that in my experience seems to work well as long as it's not connected to the telephone line - that having been said make sure it's the one with the LCD plain English keypad and not the LED keypad.

Archived