Security Installer Community

Battery fault 100 on Castle Euro- Meridian

We have a Euro-Meridian 44 which is installed in a house which suffers fairly regular power failures and surges. (Customer advises that she has gone through 3 video recorders in the last year...)

The system is fine most of the time, but twice, when the power has restored, the system reports a battery fault on the end-station, then reports Battery OK after 10 seconds. Obviously, the customer has to enter her code to silence after the battery fault.

We have been unable to replicate the fault on site, as it only happens occasionally. Both times this has happened, we have replaced the battery. The original battery, and the first replacement were Yucel brand, and the newest an IBT.

I have noticed that when the Yucel batteries are introduced back to a charging circuit, they tend to pull a high current for longer than other batteies. The one I changed today (being fully charged) pulled 1.6A from the panel after 15-20 seconds of disconnection. It maintained this draw for about 8 seconds. The current dropped to 200mA quickly after. A few minutes later, the current was almost nothing.

When I did the same test with an IBT, it drew 1.5A for about a second, then dropped to 400mA, then slowly down to almost nothing.

How likely is it that the different behaviour of these batteries will cause the panel to see a battery fault? 1.6A for 8 seconds is a lot of power...

In case it helps - battery current, mains disconnected - 200mA

A/C current quiescent - 350mA

We've installed quiet a few euro 44's. Battery monitoring is very sensitive. When replacing batteries we,ve had a few that have shown battery fault until the battery fully charges. On new install's we charge the battery before going to site. Nice panel though

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Archived