Security Installer Community

Good Morning

couplands

i tyhink bill was mainly refering to diy kiyt like that from b&q etc. Not proper equipment put in yourself.

Yes, my apology - I really did mean B&Q specials, and the like.

To be fair, quality equipment can be available to DIYers just as easily as to the trade. The real difference then becomes, as with anything, knowing what to do with it, and being capable of doing that........

Not, as Alan suggested, simply biasing the field in a trade direction for protection of our incomes.

Bill.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Not, as Alan suggested, simply biasing the field in a trade direction for protection of our incomes.

Bill,

If I offended you, then please accept my apologies it was not my intention.

However I still maintain there are several posters who seem to give the impression all alarms should be fitted by professionals & DIYers should not be allowed to do so. Short cryptic replies which seem to insinuate "If you don't know the answer to that then pack up now".

Alan...

Bill,

However I still maintain there are several posters who seem to give the impression all alarms should be fitted by professionals & DIYers should not be allowed to do so. Short cryptic replies which seem to insinuate "If you don't know the answer to that then pack up now".

Alan...

Alan

MANY of the people who ask should not be out the house un supervised IMO never mind using power tools or touching electricity so the best advise would be "if you don't know the answer to that then pack up now"!

The advise is given for common sense reasons mainly NOT as you imply to provide some devious means of advertising/promotion.

You will note we do not allow contact info be posted by our members & many don't have contact info via their avatars, signatures or profile.

Bearing this in mind I find it very difficult to see how their advice gives them any financial gain.

You are entitled to your view & likewise other members are to.

As Bill suggests I feel your being unfair in your quick assumption as you have not read the tens of thousands of posts over the last 6 years showing the helpfulness given.

Don't tar the community by the actions of the few ;)

This is now so way off-topic I apologise to Couplands for that, I've obviously ruffled a few feathers here so will keep my observations to myself in future. But just for reference I was not trying to 'tar' anybody with anything but warn of the few.

Alan...

thank you for your noble gesture of warning new members about your concerns but you have insufficent knowledge of this community to act in such a capacity. If you are un happy or upset by the comments members make here you have the option to log out because continual comments like given in your posts above will not be accepted.

C

Hey, dont worry Alan, I can judge for myself what I see on the forum, which generally seems to be a helful place.

I'm still looing forward to fitting my alarm, but want to make sure I'm fitting good kit.

I've downleaded the PowerMax installation maunuals which indicate that it's a straightforward job. Placement and correct setting of the PIRs seem to be the area where I could do with some guidance.

Based on the slightly cryptic pictures in the installation manual I should not have the PIR directly pointed at a window or radiator, so I think that means I should place it in the corner of the wall that has the window on one side and radiator on the other. This way the PIR is pointing away from both.

I'll go back to my other thread and ask more questions there.;-)

cheers

simon

Bill,

Heh. It takes a lots to offend me - but I can rise to the bait sometimes!!!

Just that us "professionals" tend to hear a lot about how we're doing nothing that the average guy can't also do on a weekend, true Blue Peter style. And folks keep right on thinking that all the way up to the point where they get burgled, or worse, and their lovingly self-installed, self-designed masterpiece, sits quietly by whilst that happens. Or worse, the insurer uses the self install as grounds not to pay out.

Other than that -

Alan...

Well, I'm sure I miss half of these, though unintentionally if I do - and indeed, I'm probably guilty of it at least sometimes. But, again, in the spirit of maintaining the "professional" flag, there is a point where it gets to "packing up" rather than allowing someone without experience to run the risk of harming themselves, or their property, because they tried to follow advice given meaningfully in a forum.

Sadly, not everything in the world is truly "plug-n-play" though we are getting closer to it.

Still, many of us will help where we can, up to a reasonable and safe limit.

Kepp posting!

Bill.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Archived