Security Installer Community

External bell box

Guest gsijim

Guest gsijim

A big question for you all , are bell boxes always installed??

I didn't want to confuse the other thread I have going on probs I have with Scantronic so ask your views seperately.

I have spoken to numerous people about the probs I have had with the alarm false alarming and upsetting neighbours. The answers I get back are along the line that nobody takes notice of external bell going off, I can vouch for that!! Is the internal speaker itself a possible deterrent to would be intruders? They suggest that an external box, whilst a good visual deterrent, needn't be connected up.

What are the thoughts of the professionals? Do you do domestic installations with no active external sounder? :?:

Guest andy jinks

we always fit a bell box, but alot of customers do say that no one seems to take any notice.

what i always say is that the chap that might be running round your house does take notice ,he doesnt know if you are police connected or have some arrangment with the chap next door to run round with his shotgun.

on alot of panels we can see what happend on a breakin and it always shows that it gets them out.

i would say its as important to make alot of noise inside ,put i a sound bomb to beef up the noise

A large amount of monitored house alarms installed by ADT do not have an Audible bellbox just an internall siren.

But they still fit a Dummy box.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest simmo

I'd always go for an external bellbox as well. As an ex-copper I can state that a lot of noise cuts down on an intruders time inside your premises.

Also whilst on patrol at night an external bellbox noise carries a long way, we would often investigate the source of noise if nothing else was pressing.

You could always limit the amount of time your external unit is ringing on most panels.

I agree with the above comments, I always push for my customers to have some kind of internal noise, even if its just a speaker.

Dinefwrs comments about the strobe are spot on. If somebody is investigating your alarm at night the strobe will help guide them in. I appreciate that most forces do not investigate bells only alarms, but if the activation is backed up by a call from a member of the public who confirms a break in progress then the external bellbox is a bloody good guide towards your premises. Police will normally always attend suspects on premises. Well they did in my day, when we used to catch proper criminals blah blah blah...............

cheers

Simmo B)

Guest THOMSONSECURITY

Hooters in the eaves are a good one (For those who dont enjoy the concept of a plastic carbuncle on their property)

B)

Guest Oz Paul

I have a dummy on my property. I dont rate having external bellboxes connected for the plain and simple reason that they tend to get ignored. Come to think of it, there is more noise generated inside than outside as I believe thats where it matters, the schmuck inside needs to know the alarm has gone off.

Little story. - My brother in law lives in London. A few months ago both neighbours (either side of him)a larms went off within 5 minutes of each other then another further down the road a while later. His two phone calls to the police were answered with "can u see anybody in the premises" when he answered no he was told they were probably false alarms and not to worry.

Turns out all three were burgled that day.

Archived