Security Installer Community

DIY Upgrade from 8 to 16 zones

Hello folks,

I've been following this forum for some months and found it very useful. A couple of very good tips I've picked up on that I will implement soon - ACT1313 filter on the power supply and a Tamper Splitter to rationalise the rats-nest of wires all going to a strip of connector block. (Why don't panel manufacturers provide proper terminations for the tampers?)

But my current query is what to do about upgrading from 8 (to 16?) zones on a system I installed myself. This will be needed if my planned house extension goes ahead and/or I add some fire detectors. Currently I have an ADE Accenta G3 and all 8 zones (and PA) are used with only 1 device per zone.

From advice I've read here I've concluded that:

a) I could put multiple devices on some zones, but that's not best practice.

b) I would prefer to have 1 device per zone for easy of maintenance, etc.

c) The panel I've got isn't upgradeable, so it's fit a new one.

d) There seems to be a gap (crevasse?) at the 8 to 16 zone point with everything at 16 or above being professional grade apparently unsuitable for the DIY installer.

Can anyone advise on a suitable replacement panel, or alternative solution and ball-park costs (retail of course, not trade)? I might add that I'm a competent (but amateur) electrician and work in computers so the logic and programming are unlikely to be a problem. I certainly found the Accenta quite easy to fit, once I understood the terminology and acronyms - but every trade has that barrier.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew

Or a Menvier ID interface unit that can turn even the old Scanny 9448 into a 30+ zone system. You wouldn't have to change your present control panel either.

As for the birds nest of tamper wiring. Global tampers keep the size of the PCB down thus allowing for smaller integral alarm panels.

Tony

ACE.gif

Archived