Security Installer Community

Control Panels With Sms Notification

Terry

Hi everyone

As you can tell I am new here.

I stumbled across these forums whilst searching for answers on the Internet :question:

And I am so happy I did, as I think I came to the right place.

I am no professional, but seeking advice for fitting a new alarm system to replace the one I inherited with the house I bought 10 years ago.

I just wanted to be well informed before starting to shop arround for quotes.

My current alarm is working fine, but the reasons I want to replace it are:

1- I want to add another PIR and a Smoke detector (linked to the alarm) without running cables.

2- I would like to have a system with Proximity readers (using fobs) as it will be easier for my parents(they are no good with codes) to check on the house when we are away, and for our son to set/unset the system.

3- I want to receive a message telling me that my son is safe back home and when he leaves home

4- Have the option to monitor the system - in the future via ARC

I think the above facilities warrant, what I believe would be

Most of what you list can be accomplished by the Honeywell Galaxy G2-20, which as a hybrid panel has options for 12 wired zones and a further 8 wireless zones (or more if you reduce the number of wired zones) and has prox-keypads or an add-on external prox-reader.

It will send texts via the telephone line or if you require an expensive GSM module for GSM texting the G2-44 would be your panel.

It is programmed to send texts to up to 3 people and each can have either, 1) Alarm events only, 2) Alarm events & faults, or 3) All events.

If you don't want a user to receive a text just don't include them as one of the 3.

Text will normally say something like "House Alarm - Lounge - Alarm+" (an alarm event in the lounge) and same with "Alarm-" when the alarm is cancelled.

Text costs would depend on the provider, probably more with GSM, but definitely more outlay for the GSM module (like several hundred!).

Most of what you list can be accomplished by the Honeywell Galaxy G2-20, which as a hybrid panel has options for 12 wired zones and a further 8 wireless zones (or more if you reduce the number of wired zones) and has prox-keypads or an add-on external prox-reader.

It will send texts via the telephone line or if you require an expensive GSM module for GSM texting the G2-44 would be your panel.

It is programmed to send texts to up to 3 people and each can have either, 1) Alarm events only, 2) Alarm events & faults, or 3) All events.

If you don't want a user to receive a text just don't include them as one of the 3.

Text will normally say something like "House Alarm - Lounge - Alarm+" (an alarm event in the lounge) and same with "Alarm-" when the alarm is cancelled.

Text costs would depend on the provider, probably more with GSM, but definitely more outlay for the GSM module (like several hundred!).

Thank you very much for replying

So GSM module is an expensive add on to the G2-44 (which I am assuming is already more expensive than the G2-20)

Also, SMS messages will cost more On GSM than Landline?!!

But, could this galaxy panel be configured to send me a text every time my son leaves & returns home safely?

He normally leaves after we do & returns before us - and never bothers telling us that he's back home safely :bruce_h4h:

If the alarm system is Unset by him and I get a message to that effect, then that would be great.

Also, when we are away and my parents go to check on the house (they're local) then I'd like to know about it as well.

Is the Galaxy the only panel with a built-in Text message option? I thought other makes have it too?!

Thank you very much for replying

So GSM module is an expensive add on to the G2-44 (which I am assuming is already more expensive than the G2-20)

Also, SMS messages will cost more On GSM than Landline?!!

But, could this galaxy panel be configured to send me a text every time my son leaves & returns home safely?

He normally leaves after we do & returns before us - and never bothers telling us that he's back home safely :bruce_h4h:

If the alarm system is Unset by him and I get a message to that effect, then that would be great.

Also, when we are away and my parents go to check on the house (they're local) then I'd like to know about it as well.

Is the Galaxy the only panel who has a built in Text message option? I thought other makes have it too?!

Some other panels have text messaging, some explicit and some cryptic, not all have wireless options, most should have prox (assuming a professional installation).

The Galaxy will only text the options I have described, so if you wanted to hear about your son setting/unsetting the panel you would select "All events" for your text message receipts - you would then be informed of everything, every set/unset and by whom, every alarm activation, every power cut etc.

The Galaxy can provide 24-hour monitoring for calling keyholders/police and has remote up/downloading for off-site diagnostics by the installing company, (check first that they can do it!).

I only recommend what I use and am familiar with, others may have different views but the Galaxy is a professional panel for professional installation.

Let me check I got this right

Galaxy G2-20 is

1-Both wireless & wired

2-Can text up to 3 mobile numbers

3-Can specify which number receives what information? So I can configure it in a way whereby

My wife & myself receive ALL Events (Alarm - Set/Unset - Fault)

My father in law receives only Alarm text

But can we specify that the set/unset SMS message gets sent ONLY when our son & in-law use their fobs, but not us.

(otherwise we'll be getting text messages every time one of us set & unset the system) which could be very expensive?

Do you know how much are sms messages on BT lines??

Let me check I got this right

Galaxy G2-20 is

1-Both wireless & wired

2-Can text up to 3 mobile numbers

3-Can specify which number receives what information? So I can configure it in a way whereby

My wife & myself receive ALL Events (Alarm - Set/Unset - Fault)

My father in law receives only Alarm text

YES

But can we specify that the set/unset SMS message gets sent ONLY when our son & in-law use their fobs, but not us.

NO

(otherwise we'll be getting text messages every time one of us set & unset the system) which could be very expensive?

Do you know how much are sms messages on BT lines??

AROUND 20P (2 X TEXT - 1 TO CONTROL CENTRE AND ONE FROM CONTROL CENTRE TO YOU)

AROUND 20P (2 X TEXT - 1 TO CONTROL CENTRE AND ONE FROM CONTROL CENTRE TO YOU)

Why Control Centre?

Do we have to have Monitoring if we want to receive SMS messages?

I thought the SMS replaces the Speechdialer - in that we don't have to have a monitored alarm! Did i think wrong?

Also 20p!! I work this out to be

The message has to be 'translated' by the control centre, (not Alarm Receiving Centre) and forwarded as a text to your mobile 'phone.

This is not 'monitoring', it is merely a means of getting a message from the alarm in text form to your 'phone.

There's no such thing as a free lunch!

The message has to be 'translated' by the control centre, (not Alarm Receiving Centre) and forwarded as a text to your mobile 'phone.

This is not 'monitoring', it is merely a means of getting a message from the alarm in text form to your 'phone.

There's no such thing as a free lunch!

Thank you so much for clarifying this!

Still

Guest old-hand

You could use Visonic Powermax + panel totally wireless. No prox tags to set though. can be monitored and send a voice message to phone numbers. So cost of a call and cheaper if you add it to friends and family packages.

It has a "latchkey" feature which is specifically for youngsters or elderly, and notifies you of setting and unsetting individually. Up to 3 users can be programmed this way Even giving their name if programmed.

System is to grade 2 and has 30 possible zones to use.

Archived