Security Installer Community

Monitoring Options

LACKEYLAK

Hi,

Can you tell me the minimum required spec for police response alarm from a phone line point of view, ie is a scantronic 9853 with built in communicator using a shared line sufficient, or will it need a dedicated phone line etc

Some ARC's a quoting REDcare as their minimum.

Reason being, I'm having a 4 month old professionally installed (by national company) alarm removed due to poor fitting and unreliable equipment.

As I'm in the electronics/wiring industry, but not alarms, I've decided to fit a new scantronic system myself and have plenty of maintenance conpanies happy to take over the maintenance contract once they inspect the system.

My only query is, if I want it monitored (police response), will I need another BT line dedicated to the alarm, or will the system need a dual comm unit attached. The existing alarm only uses 1 shared phone line for police response. No-one seems to give a straight answer over the phone.

Thanks.

The police are not interested in your 'phone line but they are interested in your alarm being fitted and maintained to required standards - technically any company should carry out a risk assessment of your property before fitting a system so your DIY venture needs to be done very carefully or it may fail to comply.

If you can arrange for a company to tell you what they need that would be good but I suggest that there won't be too many companies prepared to tell you what to do for free!

A dedicated line is more secure than a shared line for standard monitoring but a Dualcom is more secure (and more expensive) than standard monitoring.

For the on board comms - use dedicated line incoming calls barred.

I strongly agree with RJB though. You will incur a lot more cost than you think before you gain compliance without having your hand held through the installation.

I feel there are simply too many points to cover to list them all here in the public section. Maybe someone else could have a go or direct the OP to some relevant reading material.

'J

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

Thanks for you reply,

The plan is to fit a scantronic system which as per spec on coopers site is up to standard. As per the fit, I'll definitely carry out a higher standard of workmanship than the pro that installed my current monitored system. The 9853 can signal a confirmed alarm, but I don'y want the expense of extra line rental. My current monitored system which will be removed shortly shares the phoneline, but ARC's seem to shy away from that method.

I have a couple of companies happy to take up the requirement of maintenance for a small comissioning fee and inspection of my install, which I'm happy to do. My difficulty is finding an ARC.

Thanks for you reply,

The plan is to fit a scantronic system which as per spec on coopers site is up to standard. As per the fit, I'll definitely carry out a higher standard of workmanship than the pro that installed my current monitored system. The 9853 can signal a confirmed alarm, but I don'y want the expense of extra line rental. My current monitored system which will be removed shortly shares the phoneline, but ARC's seem to shy away from that method.

I have a couple of companies happy to take up the requirement of maintenance for a small comissioning fee and inspection of my install, which I'm happy to do. My difficulty is finding an ARC.

ARC's shouldn't be concerned about your phone line setup!

Get the commissioning company to setup your monitoring with their ARC, don't try to do it independently.

Archived