Security Installer Community

False alarms with Powermax

Guest b33k34

Guest b33k34

I recently fitted a Powermax wireless alarm to replace an old system that had a lot of ugly surface wiring. We're getting a lot of false alarms that are being reset by a neighbour and I'm wondering what the process is for identifying the cause.

I know which PIR sensor caused the most recent alarm but not the earlier ones (although i'm going to do a more thorough review of the logs). It's in an upstairs hallway with no radiators and is mounted at 45 degrees to a window.

How sensitive are these PIRs (it's not a 'pet immune' one)? Would they be set of by a mouse (we've seen some in the house)?

Guest b33k34

Having looked through all the logs it's always the same detector that's alarmed. It's in a corridor where it turns through 90 degrees and mounted in the corner to 'see' down both ways. There's an east facing window about 3 feet from the detector (so that it's at 45degrees to it). The wall opposite is painted by could get warm through solar radiation. The window is probalby draughty but has no curtains or blind at the moment.

I discovered that the powermax PIRs have

"Ultimate false alarm immunity based on patented True Motion Recognition

Why dont you swap it with another detector in the house to see if its environmental or the detector.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest RICHL

Breff has got the right idea.

That ""Ultimate false alarm immunity ..." is just bumff. If its a DIY radio thing its bound to be pants.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest marcjacobs

Switch the PIR to the 3 pulses mode, set supervision to 12 hours and you won't have any problems I think. Every PIR I used in one pulse mode gives very fast false alarm, even the Optex and Guardall V12 PIR's.

Guest Peter James
Switch the PIR to the 3 pulses mode, set supervision to 12 hours and you won't have any problems I think. Every PIR I used in one pulse mode gives very fast false alarm, even the Optex and Guardall V12 PIR's.
:o

Hmmm me thinks there is a common problem there, why dont you just stop fitting pirs?

• 4 months later...

18169[/snapback]

As I just posted elsewhere i walked past the window as the sun was coming up one morning and noticed just how warm how quickly the wall became. Relocated the detector just around the corner. It might not catch someone coming in the window but will before they get more than a few feet.

However, I now have pet related problems.....

Archived