Security Installer Community

Eurosec Cpx - Keypad Display Blank

Scooby7

Is it possible for the main board to become wiped??

The alarm has been installed and was working fine for 2 years until a kitchen refit company decided to cut through three of the cables. (the cable between the control unit and the key pad was NOT cut)

I've reconnected the cut cables, and initially the display read "Fuse/Bat Fault" - sure enough the Aux1 fuse had blown so I've replaced this.

Now the remote keypad will light up when you power on, but there is no text on the display.

I've checked the 3 fuses again, and that there is power to the PCB (17v) and that the power is reaching the keypad (12v)

Any ideas on what else to try??

Could a wiring fault cause the display to blank?? - ie is it worth disconnecting everything (I really don't want to! :ranting: ) to see if that clears the fault??

All advice appreciated, otherwise I guess the board has to go back for reprogramming??

You could try downpowering it and then re-applying power and see if that sorts it, check the comms data a and b are connected the correct way around, failing that it could be the power has shorted on the keypad data line and damaged the chip on the panel, in which case it's stuffed, but try removing mains and battery for a good 10 secs and see where it gets you.

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

try the reset first and then if not wire the keypad directly to the panel with a short bit of cable to test it.

if the panel lights up but no display then it could be a few things.

1. Contrast is not set correctly, (you would still be able to enter codes to set alarm)

2. A/B data not connected properly, (not able to set alarm)

3. Connection between the panel circuit board and display board faulty, (can set alarm)

I have been fixing a faulty keypad and have replaced the display board. One of my connections was bad and I had a display with squares on the top row. In most cases of a 16x2 display the keypad control board is connected to a standard (HD44780) LCD display. The display needs to have an initialization sequence sent to it when its powered up otherwise it usually displays the squares. This usually happens when the power is applied without a/b data connected or there is a fault on one of the connections or replacing a RKP fuse and then not restarting.

THanks guys but I think it is stuffed - I suspect Mavrick is right that the 12v has shorted to the data line and blown something

I removed everything and ran a short cable from the panel to the keypad and it still just lights up the back light but with no characters visible,

It's still outputting to the SAB to hold the bell off, but nothing else seems to be functioning so the best bet is to replace the PCBs

Thanks anyway

Archived