Security Installer Community

Fire Alarm Installer Qualifications

adpteddy

hi everyone

but can anybody explain me what is the MUST that i need to have (certificate, exam, degree) to install fire alarms and certyfy them so I coud do a complete job from the beginning (projects) to certify them and maintain a ready fit system?

"A person is to be regarded as competent where he has sufficient training and experience or knowledge and other qualities to enable him properly do the works"

.....slightly paraphrased from the RRO but in a nutshell, you need experience as well as qualifications to be considered competent......

No nowt about the "dreaded" RRO but from 5839 the definintion is as foolows -

"3.11

competent person -

A person with the necessary training and experience, and with access to the requisite tools, equipment and

information, and capable of carrying out a defined task"

This relates to everything from specifying,design,commissioning,maintenance and end user responsibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Which qualifications though?

Some people say electrical installation 2330, other btec electronic and electrical engineering...

As it is i've been in the industry 2 years coming from an eletronics background but with no formal qualification myself, but im looking to gain some/one which would you guys advise?

Some people say electrical installation 2330, other btec electronic and electrical engineering...

As it is i've been in the industry 2 years coming from an eletronics background but with no formal qualification myself, but im looking to gain some/one which would you guys advise?

There aren't really any specific quallifications as such but getting onto the courses run by FIA (as previously stated) would be essential if you have little or no experience in the discipline.

Even then you will need to be working within the industry for it all to come together (as is the case in all walks of life - you don't get to really know it until you can use it).

If you find something worth while please let me know, I put myself through college(night classes) HNC electrical and electronic engineering(college attended doesn't do this course anymore). Wasn't easy working through the day, and we just had the one kid at the time.

I would like a credible qualification for our guys that is directly relevant to the fire industry, spoken to a couple of governing bodies, BAFE (NSI) & Select (Scottish electrical governing body) they both say similar things, about the industry trying to come up with a standard qualification, but this could be a long time away.

Experience usually out weighs qualifications any day IMO.

If you find something worth while please let me know, I put myself through college(night classes) HNC electrical and electronic engineering(college attended doesn't do this course anymore). Wasn't easy working through the day, and we just had the one kid at the time.

I would like a credible qualification for our guys that is directly relevant to the fire industry, spoken to a couple of governing bodies, BAFE (NSI) & Select (Scottish electrical governing body) they both say similar things, about the industry trying to come up with a standard qualification, but this could be a long time away.

Experience usually out weighs qualifications any day IMO.

Was looking at the hnc myself but the boss wont let me have do it on day release, and i carnt find anywhere that does it on a night, so im looking at starting the electrical installation 2330 in september.

Experience does out weigh qualifications, as a guess we've all had the experience of sorting out a sparkys mess who think they can install a fire alarm system oh such fun :whistle:

• 1 month later...
as far as i know there isn't any formal qualifications. or never used to be. which is crazy as its life saving equipment.

thats why you end up goin to jobs that are a total f up lol

Hi Tony - Ive worked with guys who have been to all of the same courses as me and I wouldn't trust them to do a "thumbs up on Monday" test!!

You need to get drilled in that if it fails then someone is going to get hurt,die or a lot of people are out of work because the factory burnt down.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Tony - Ive worked with guys who have been to all of the same courses as me and I wouldn't trust them to do a "thumbs up on Monday" test!!

You need to get drilled in that if it fails then someone is going to get hurt,die or a lot of people are out of work because the factory burnt down.

[/quot

if u need to find how good some one is ask them whats difference between AC and DC voltage(o)

if u need to find how good some one is ask them whats difference between AC and DC voltage(o)

What will that prove ?

My 13 year old daughter knows that..................and personally I wouldnt take on a tea boy who didnt.

Are you for real mate, or are your posts all wind ups ?

Archived