Security Installer Community

Minerva 80

Ramite

Im looking for some help with a fault on a panel.Every device on loop b is in fault.The smokes and heats show low id and sounders show relay coil fault.This is after water damage.Not directly on the panel but on a number of devices.The cable meters out ok(it is wired in pyro) but panel shows a s/c with the loop completly disconnected. The panel does not show an open circuit if the loop is split in the field.Nothing is down to earth and all devices effected by water damage have been changed.Heaters have been in to dry pyro ends.

I have tried changing the loop card,but once the panel is powered back up it starts initalizing then reboots and gets stuck in a cycle of just rebooting and front door just shows initializing.

Sorry for the long post but any help would be welcome.

Me fail English? That's unpossible

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im looking for some help with a fault on a panel.Every device on loop b is in fault.The smokes and heats show low id and sounders show relay coil fault.This is after water damage.Not directly on the panel but on a number of devices.The cable meters out ok(it is wired in pyro) but panel shows a s/c with the loop completly disconnected. The panel does not show an open circuit if the loop is split in the field.Nothing is down to earth and all devices effected by water damage have been changed.Heaters have been in to dry pyro ends.

I have tried changing the loop card,but once the panel is powered back up it starts initalizing then reboots and gets stuck in a cycle of just rebooting and front door just shows initializing.

In regard to the micc, if there has been water ingress I would imagine any dampness that sets in could be at least half a meter up the cable. If there is dampness the panel could be picking up what your meter isn't. I would suggest disconnecting water affected area from the rest of loop, disconnect your positives from device and connector block them through, then megger the isolated circuit so you can see exactly if this cable has been affected by water damage.

As for your panel, cant help you there we fit quite a lot of them but do not commission them as ADT do there own commissioning.

Steve,it's an oldie 80 and not an MX.

When you say you swapped the loop cards around did you swap the chips over (and apologies if granny sucking eggs applies here!).

Are you getting any other fault messages amongst the garbage (real point,pseudo points etc.)?

Allen

Apologies for my naivety as we don't commission the Minerva we don't take much notice of the models.

No offence meant - the Minerva 80 is the forerunner to the current Minerva addressable system.The last range of detectors that it used were 901's but the loder models used 401's and 501's.

As they are withdrawing support for this range next year I'd be looking to upgrade it anyway by now.The new panels won't run the detectors but will drive the other field devices.

No offense meant - the Minerva 80 is the forerunner to the current Minerva addressable system.The last range of detectors that it used were 901's but the older models used 401's and 501's.

As they are withdrawing support for this range next year I'd be looking to upgrade it anyway by now.The new panels won't run the detectors but will drive the other field devices.

Hadn't taken offense Allen, rereading my post I can see why you thought that though.

Off topic a bit, we don't take a lot of interest in the Minerva although we work with it nearly everyday. It really looks like a good bit of kit, just can't seem to get into it, probably because we don't make any money from it apart from installing it.

Thanks for the replys.I have metered it for short and open circuit and down to earth.The panel is in flats due to access issues i wouldnt be able to disconnected the effected cable, take the devices out ,join pos's though and get it all back to give them a system for end of the day.Problems we have had so far due to access it would take about a week !

I have changed the chips in the loop cards over .

When the old loop cards are in the smokes and heats show as low id and the loop powered sounder show relay coil fault also get the message fault over flow.Have tried testing the smokes & heats and sounders work ok despite what the panel shows.

Once again thanks for the help.

BTW - the Minerva will show a S/C with al field wiring disconnected (don't ask!).You need to link through your loop pos & negs on the loop card.

This will clear the S/C and O/C.You will then have all your devices no response/missing and your loop analogue value will be sitting at normal condition with no compensation (that is if the card is fault free).

If you are getting a fault overflow on the panel when the loop is in then go through the print out to see all the faults that are there.See how many sounder faults you have also (your coil stuck message).

More info is (most times) helpful with these panels but,as I said,support is being withdrawn next year on spares so get pushing for the upgrade.

Ok will speak to the customer and see about an upgrade.They have had quite a few biggish faults with this panel so maybe its time to change.Thanks for the help.

Just out of interest when did Minervas start getting installed ?

Ok will speak to the customer and see about an upgrade.They have had quite a few biggish faults with this panel so maybe its time to change.Thanks for the help.

Just out of interest when did Minervas start getting installed ?

Hmmm,the original Thorn Minerva 8,16 & 80's must have first seen light of day a good 20 year ago (approx!).The original concept was for a combined intruder and fire panel (the facilities were on the consys) but I assume that there was equipment conflict due to different standards (this I am only guesiing and welcome corrections!!).

Archived