Security Installer Community

Visonic Powermax+ For My Doors/windows?

Lisa

I'm buying and installing my first home alarm system ever so I'm totally clueless. I've almost decided on buying a Visonic Powermax Plus kit since it seems to be getting good reviews, however I have a question. I have sliding aluminium patio doors like these:

http://www.duration.co.uk/alipatios.asp (but with grids like in the next link)

http://www.milgard.com/products/alum...um-sliding.asp

Both partitions move so I was told the magnetic door contacts wouldn't be suitable. My question is this: should I get the clip curtain PIR's, the Discovery Quad or the Impact sensor?

Do you recommend something other than the Visonic Powermax?

One more question: I've read good things on Quad detectors, Visonic has one but I found no information on whether it's pet immune or not. I have 2 medium sized dogs, should I just stick to the K9-85 and forget about Quads? (though they seem much more efficient!).

you will have to use pet immune sensors so that decides that.

But if i were you id go for perimeter protection (ie the doors and windows) and also have a few sensors in the rooms the dogs have no access too.

a door contact will work great as long as the open the window. If the just smash the glass and enter through it (rareish) then you contact wouldnt open. A vibration sensor would. Best of both worlds is vibration AND contact.

Powermax is great panel

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for your reply James, then the Powermax will be the way to go. Thank you for ruling out Quads, now I don't have to be further confused having to deal with that issue, pity though as they seem to be much more efficient than regular PIR's. I can't restrict the dogs as everything is open space downstairs. I think you're right, perimeter would be more efficient than the PIR's, I have been reading up on the Pet PIR's and they can get problematic. I would love to use door contacts on my aluminium sliding doors but I am concerned I won't be able to fit them properly as both sides move and the person selling the system said it would be better to use the clip curtain option. Someone on another forum told me to use recessed door contacts but Visonic doesn't have those. Has anyone tried the clip curtain thingies? Are they any good?

they are but if your dogs approach the window they will activate.

As both sides open you could either use 2 units or fit the contact to the middle of the 2 doors. That way if either open etc, you dont have to get any wires to them after all.

Alternativly the door contact transmitters have a pair of connections for std door contacts. So you can disable the internal contact and use 2 x external (to the unit not outside) flush contacts.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Once again your help has been invaluable, thank you! I was going to use clip curtain thingies but the dogs may activate them, I will use 2 door contacts for each sliding door/window - that way I can hopefully minimise false alarms. Brilliant, thank you very much indeed! You can't imagine how confusing all this is to the layperson.

Archived