Security Installer Community

Powermax+ Pgm Output

tdcooper

...I would really like it if the [Powermax] pro turns out to have programmable outputs. This is the only thing that bugs me about the [Powermax] plus....

Note, I added the items in RED to the above quote for clarity....

I knew I remembered seeing a post referring to outputs on the Powermax+... which leads me to my question. I have the Powermax+ system in my home and am now looking for a CCTV recording solution to record the exterior front and back of the house 24/7, as well as 2 internal cameras in my main living space that only record on alarm. I have of course been waiting patiently for the Powerlink system.... but as it's still not available in the UK and I want to get something in place ASAP I am now considering the System Q Alien 4-Channel DSD105. It's potentially a far more capable system and as I have the Powermax+ GSM unit already, I really don't need full internet control... I'm not even 100% sure the GSM unit and Powerlink CAN be used together, unless you can daisy chain them together... anyway, I digress....

....according to the DSD105 documentation it accepts inputs from an alarm system and do various programmable functions. Now... the quote above implies that the Powermax+ panel does not have any programmable outputs.... but from what I can see there IS an output called the PGM Output which from what I can see in the manual appears to be what I would need to connect to the DVR.

So, to make a long post shorter... does anyone here have experience of using the Powermax+ PGM Output to connect to a DVR? If so.. does anyone know if I would need to use the "Normally Open" or "Normally Closed" connection option on the DVR(maybe not even relevant as its a connection to the panel, not a detector such as a PIR??)? And finally... is the PGM Output "grounded" as it would appear that the DSD105 requires a grounded connection.... none of this info is in the installers manual as far as I can see.

Thanks!

you will need to connect the output from the powermax to a relay, then you can wire the realy into your dvr.

Thanks for your reply... that makes sense. I have been researching the sort of relay I would need, and have come up with 2 options from Security Warehouse... Can you tell me if either of these would be appropriate?

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=1576

and

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=1575

In terms of wiring it up, I presume the relay itself needs to be powered from a 12vdc output from the panel (which the Powermax+ does have) but then there are the 2 sets of connectors for NO, NC and C, I guess one set for the PGM Output from the paneland the other to go to the Alarm input on the DVR. I presume "NO" is "Normally Open" and "NC" is "Normally Closed", and I can choose one of these options appropriate to the DVR, but what is "C"? I've attached diagrams of both relays, and of the connections on the Powermax+ panel... if you could give me some wiring guidance I would greatly appreciate it.

TKC HLR12

post-18690-1225457493.jpg

TKC JHLR12

post-18690-1225457468.jpg

Powermax+ Wiring Diagram

post-18690-1225457902_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

The "C" is the common connection, the DVR will have an alarm input but each input needs 2 wires use the C and either NO or NC depending on how you want it set up and it will trigger the record but normally it's 1 input per camera and it will only record that camera that's been trigger i.e. input 1 will only normally make camera 1 record.

I don't know the panel but what you need is for it to basically Power up the relay only when it's in alarm so depending on how you can program that output.

Basically

PGM and +12v:

PGM ->Input -ve

+12v ->Input +ve

or PGM and 0v:

PGM ->Input +ve

0v ->Input -ve

DVR side

NC/NO -> DVR input

C -> DVR Alarm Common..

Hope this helps you out, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this panel will help out with the panel side

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

The "C" is the common connection, the DVR will have an alarm input but each input needs 2 wires use the C and either NO or NC depending on how you want it set up and it will trigger the record but normally it's 1 input per camera and it will only record that camera that's been trigger i.e. input 1 will only normally make camera 1 record.

Very helpful, thanks!

I don't know the panel but what you need is for it to basically Power up the relay only when it's in alarm so depending on how you can program that output.

Thanks for the 2 options... unfortunately it's not clear to me (from the manual) if I need to use one of the 12v connectors in conjuntion with PGM, or if the PGM Output supplies the 12v itself and I use that in conjunction with the connector labelled "-HOLD". From the manual it almost seems to suggest that the 12v connectors are more for providing power to up to 2 external sounders... activated by their own "EXT" or "INT" terminals as shown on the diagram. It's not something I want to get wrong and risk damaging the panel!

Hope this helps you out, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this panel will help out with the panel side

Very much so... just need clarification from someone who knows the Powermax+ panel now. Thanks again.

Archived