Security Installer Community

Testing Bell Box Battery

paulrichards

I think I its all sunk in now, in essence very simple

..its more the non-standard wire colour coding (red and black should really be +/- power), odd naming of wires, different naming of the same wire between companies, wires that have two purpose with overlapping circuits that was the confusing parts

It is actually very simple and I had the benefit of learning the trade when it was even simpler. relays that you could actually see opening and closing, you could almost see the electricity going through the contacts.

Mechanincal bells with purple sparks and motor driven sirens, control panels with keys and lantern batteries connected directly to the local police station using a private post office line.

You do learn to ignore colours when you have fitted alarms for a while, everyone has their own favourites and it becomes academic after a while.

I have trained a few engineers in my time and the mysteries of the bell box are one of the hardest to grasp, wiring multiple sounders to one panel can challeneg even fairly experinced engineers.

It is actually very simple and I had the benefit of learning the trade when it was even simpler. relays that you could actually see opening and closing, you could almost see the electricity going through the contacts.

Mechanincal bells with purple sparks and motor driven sirens, control panels with keys and lantern batteries connected directly to the local police station using a private post office line.

You do learn to ignore colours when you have fitted alarms for a while, everyone has their own favourites and it becomes academic after a while.

I have trained a few engineers in my time and the mysteries of the bell box are one of the hardest to grasp, wiring multiple sounders to one panel can challeneg even fairly experinced engineers.

a fellow ancient kindred spirits surfaces,

through wists of time, days of no zone links, no 'on test', no double knock, just a large electrolytic cap to get it through the night on a rot, or a bit of paper in the relay armature - sign here guv and that zone was 'isolated' lol.

i can still smell the glue and brown cardboard coil covers, the laquer from PSUs crackling from being overloaded, even hear the raucous buzz of the 'agro' seting noise in their brown bakerlite cases.

but do you also remmember having 2 penknives attaching with some single and 'tasting' a circuit for a 'rot'? as for meters- what meters they were just for the cissy's in my prime :lol:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Put in the new bell box today (Texecom Odyessy 1). The battery in the old bell box was in pieces. The new one is much better designed, all the electronics are sealed and its so loud, I mean its ear bleedly loud.

thanks very much to everyone who has helped me out, cheers

Do you mean lterally in pieces?

I remeber buying a batch of SAB modules in the mid 90s and the batteries had a tendency to explode, they would splatter all over the inside of the bell housing!

yes, the battery was split into several pieces and completely corroded, the electronics looked ok so in theory I could have just replaced the battery. However the new box is far better. Any burglar trying to break in will be run quickly with blood pooring from his ears due to the 115dB siren

Mid 90's Gardtec Novas were good for that, apparently due to the batteries they used.

Yeah that's what I was told as well, mine were standard SAB modules, I still put my own housings together in the 90s but probably the same make of batteries, the Gardiner Security rep told me it was something to do with grease getting in between the cells.

I wouldn't have wanted my face too near one when it exploded although my ex would probably feel differently!

Archived