Security Installer Community

Nuisance Strobe

Guest hutchy56

Guest hutchy56

Anyone have any ideas why my flashguard strobes flash as and when they want, without the bell going off or an event showing on the control panel. The panel is a Scantronic 9448. It's driving me mad, someone suggested a new panel is required but is it not most likely to be one of the bell boxes ??

You could try removing the 'Strobe - (neg)' wire at the bellbox and put a wire link from the 'Trig - (neg)' bellbox terminal to the 'Strobe -' bellbox terminal on the bellbox itself. this way, you'd be at least able to figure out wether the fault is with the bellbox or not as the strobe should now only flash whilst the siren is being triggered.

Also remember. A constantly flashing strobe could be caused by a number of things. A short on the cable between 'Strobe -' and '0 volts hold off' could be the problem. A panel fault of this nature, I've never seen.

Tony

ACE.gif

Guest hutchy56

Thanks for that Tony, in fact you may have just solved it completely !!! We recently had a new boiler fitted during which, the wire to the back bell box became trapped and the alarm went off showing a tamper when anyone stood on the floorboards near the bathroom. That may explain why the strobe appears to start and stop on it's own, maybe it's when someone goes in and out of the bathroom !! Maybe the first step is to replace that length of cable to see if that stops it.

Thanks again !!!

Guest Gimmick

Looks like you tracked it down, with the "foot sensitive" cable . . :lol:

The other alternative would be to swap the sounder and strobe trigger around, at the bell side. As long as the problem occurs regularly (because you don't want to leave it like that for any length of time), you will soon find the source of the problem.

If the strobe still keeps flashing, then it is the strobe itself because the trigger source is different. If the sounder rings now instead . . cable or panel trigger. Certainly never heard of a Scantronic control panel simply triggering the devices themselves, without making a note in the log.

Gim.

Guest solfan

Try removing the neg wire from the control panel and see if the strobe still flashes.If flashing stops it suggests a neg feed is coming panel . Prove this with your meter to the strobe output at the panel. If flashing continues then fault exists with stobe / siren unit. Good luck.

Guest hutchy56

Opened the rear wall bellbox today to try swapping the strobe wire over and found the battery had corroded and fallen to bits, for the time being I just disconnected the strobe in that box, I thought it had worked at first as the box on the front of the house had stopped flashing also, but then noticed later on that it had started again .. though it seemed to stop pretty soon. <_< Plan for now is to check the front box, change both batteries if necessary, then investigate further. But thanks for all the help you guys and please keep any suggestions coming !!

If the system had been regulary serviced, this would have been picked up before it got this bad.

Another good example of why regular maintenance is important!! ;)

Colin.

Archived