Security Installer Community

Hello + Question

wirelessphill

Hi,

Im new and i probably wont post much so hello to all.

I have a wireless issue (802.11g 2.4ghz)

I run a hopsital wireless network. We have 802.11 2.4ghz access points. In 1 area of the hospital there is a system called aritech ats2003 ???

I use a tool called wi-spy and i get a ton of interference on ch 9 / 10 . A tall spike and probably the most distinct ive ever seen i.e very powerfull. this is destroying my wireless lan signal.

my question is, are these units channel selectable ?

the units are powered so why not run a hardwired cable instead ?

perhaps they have but have left the 2.4ghz signal on ?

anyone have experience of the ats2003 ?

cheers

Phill

no im afrid you cant move the wireless of the intruder alarm onto another 'band' and wifi (im assuming 'g' here) and security can cause issues. This should only happen when the 2 devices are in close proximity, ie AP and tx etc. draft n will help.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

no im afrid you cant move the wireless of the intruder alarm onto another 'band' and wifi (im assuming 'g' here) and security can cause issues. This should only happen when the 2 devices are in close proximity, ie AP and tx etc. draft n will help.

the only solution i can think of is to run 5ghz on 'g' to avoid this interference but this would isolate my IP phones that are fixed to g only hmm..

N draft is all well and good but you need gigabit POE switches (expensive if you have over 1000 10/100 3750`s with POE already) in fact the whole chain needs to be 1 gig including the controllers. also even though N loves multipath signals (where as b/g loves LOS and low rebound) a resurvey of some description would be needed moving from 2.4 to 5ghz with the extra channel.

so it would seem i need to run 5ghz in that area and enable clients who work there to auto a/b/g mode.

im not sure 5 gig will help as the sensors will be on 868MHz not 2.4GHz, but n will help as it will 'hop' around.

You can use n on megabit but you will be limited to that, and to be fair if you reliably achieve over 100 meg id be amazed even with n

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

im not sure 5 gig will help as the sensors will be on 868MHz not 2.4GHz, but n will help as it will 'hop' around.

You can use n on megabit but you will be limited to that, and to be fair if you reliably achieve over 100 meg id be amazed even with n

well thats true but i have desk ip phones aswell i may reach the limit of the switches power seen as N AP`s are almost twice the power consumption !

oh right.

Injectors?

nah, per port its cheaper to buy POE switches than a panel for injectors though.

A radio works fine on 5ghz and so does G. As part of the backwards compatibilty of 802.11 standard 5ghz will run erp-ofdm for g radio on 5ghz.

maybe i should stick around on this site, i can give qualified wireless help if needed ?

Archived