Security Installer Community

Bt Inspiration

Bakunin

Mailbox is an additional extra.

Are you saying the first port is DEAD?

Sys programming is only possible from one location, this is moveable, but the default is port 1.

A,B,C,D relates to 2,5,1,6 respectively on a MASTER socket. System phones will work on a secondary socket, but SLT/POTS phones will be unable to ring unless you use a master socket. There is no connection to 3 or 4 on the socket.

Where have you tried to connect the trunk lines (bt external lines) to? Your post is confusing. These should be connected to L1 and L2 on the PCB (on the same IDC block). Just a single pair per line, 2+5.

Hi Lectrician - thanks for the reply.

I have a BT socket (from outside ) and I wired as follows 1 = no wire : 2 = Blue : 3 = Orange : 4 = White/Orange : 5 = White/Blue : 6 = no wire.

I took that cable to the Inspiration box ( CCU ? ) and wired the Blue wire to L1 - the first connection working down, and White Blue to second connection.

I see there is bank of 4 connectores - L1 and L2 - but I think this is to wire in 2 separate BT lines ?

I am trying to wire in ONE line to two extsnesion phones.

I then wired a cable to ABCD at post 20 in the Inspiration box - as follows A=Blue : B=White/Blue : C=Orange : D=White/Orange.

I took that cable to an extension box and wired that

1=Orange : 2=Blue : 3=Green : 4=White/Green : 5=White/Blue : 6=White/Orange.

This seemed to work okay. i was bale to chnage date and select headsaet mode.

I then took another cable frrom the Inpsiration box - connecting wires to port 21 - colours exactly as above ABCD to a second extension box

and wired that as I have wired the first extension box.

Now the second box - wired to port 21 - is working but the first extension does not work.

You asked if it was comepletely dead - so I tried a normal phone - and it works (connects a call)

But when I plug in the Inspriration feature phone - the line is dead.

If the prgramming is only from port 20 - and that extension is not working - that sort of explains why I get "progarmming invalid "

because the only exntesnion working is 21 - and that is not the default. But i need to try and get both extensions working and transfer calls between them.

I hope I am right to think I can take one BT line - and link it to two extensions . I know I cannot phone out at the same time - but we get mainly incoming -

which is why I need two lines (or more). Also is the mailbox standard on Inpsiration ?? All I have read, says it is - and I was told this has voicemail.

But I see expansion cards (for

The voicemail is an extra add on, sorry.

One line in will give you one incomming call OR one outgoing call.

you cant have more than one call coming in or one call going out. It is just a single line system the way you have set it up. If one extension answers a call, then the line will become engaged just as a normal line. You cannot simply increase line capacity by adding a system like this.

You would need to get a second line for more capacity. You would ask for an "auxillarly" line, this is a second line on the same phone number. When the first line is engaged, the second line will then ring.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

The voicemail is an extra add on, sorry.

One line in will give you one incomming call OR one outgoing call.

you cant have more than one call coming in or one call going out. It is just a single line system the way you have set it up. If one extension answers a call, then the line will become engaged just as a normal line. You cannot simply increase line capacity by adding a system like this.

You would need to get a second line for more capacity. You would ask for an "auxillarly" line, this is a second line on the same phone number. When the first line is engaged, the second line will then ring.

??

Sorry - clearly I am no good with anything that has wires !!

In my ignorance I thought you could have extra calls IN . Thanks for explanation

I do have two lines - same number two lines - and two sockets. So I wired L2 in the CCU box

to the socket the BT engineer put on the wall for our second line

When I opened the bt socket for the secoind line in - I see two wires connected - orange and white/orange connected by two screw type terminals.

I see the other connectors numbered 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - I recall the 1 and 6 are not used anyway so I wired blue = 2 0range=3 white/orange = 4 white/blue = 5.

i took the cable to terminal L2 - and wired up blue and white/blue to the terminals ( going down from the top).

So in the ccu box I now have L1 and L2 - reading from the top blue - white/blue - blue - white/blue.

But still no joy on my first extension - the one I wired first of all - extension 20 .

A normal phone works okay in that extension. When I test the handset in the other extension, it is okay.

Port 20 and port21 are wired the same way.

I can't see why only extension 21 is working.

Thanks for your help

bakunin

It sounds like you have wired the trunk lines as you should have done. By dialling 9 on the extensions you should be able to dial out? On the feature phone, assuming the progamming is still default, the line key lights will light when you use a line.

Have you tried the other ports?

Read my post above, it sounds like port 20 is either faulty, or you have not connected the cables very well. The way you have connected it sounds fine, but you may have a bad connection etc.

Programming would not prevent the phone from working, and nor would adding the extra port.

Look again at the security of the cables in the terminals.

What tool are you using to punch the cables home? maybe your tool is not upto scratch?

• 1 month later...

Hi

If a normal phone (POTS) works on the first port and not a systemphone, then its the second pair of wires ( 3 and 4 from memory) that must be at fault, or you have a faulty motherboard. One pair are for analogue voice and the second pair are data for the systemphones.

As said previously, the default programming position is ext 20, so you may be stuffed... as I really doubt you can do any programming from a POTS.

Other option, if the montherboard is duff, is to pick up a BT Revelation - they are so cheap now and are the older brother to the inspiration, but are limited to 4 exch and 12 extensions when so configured. Voice modules are around for revelations too, but they dont let you have a vmail box per extension like the inspirations do.

David

Hi

If a normal phone (POTS) works on the first port and not a systemphone, then its the second pair of wires ( 3 and 4 from memory) that must be at fault, or you have a faulty motherboard. One pair are for analogue voice and the second pair are data for the systemphones.

As said previously, the default programming position is ext 20, so you may be stuffed... as I really doubt you can do any programming from a POTS.

Other option, if the montherboard is duff, is to pick up a BT Revelation - they are so cheap now and are the older brother to the inspiration, but are limited to 4 exch and 12 extensions when so configured. Voice modules are around for revelations too, but they dont let you have a vmail box per extension like the inspirations do.

David

The inspiration phones will not work with the revelation.

The data pair is connected to 1 and 6 of a BT master or secondary (best to use a master, as this makes the outlet fully compliant for a pots phone).

Archived