Security Installer Community

Height For Fap?

Baracus

FAP level = fit at penis level for all you sparkies and DDA purists

Now now there's the them and us speeches stared...

I'll be honest, Ive never experienced this sort of attitude on site before with Intruder and Fire guys, always friendly and willing to help. I'm not getting at you G, its just something I noticed on the site

Guest Thunderfingers

I'll be honest, Ive never experienced this sort of attitude on site before with Intruder and Fire guys, always friendly and willing to help. I'm not getting at you G, its just something I noticed on the site

LOL - you obviously haven't been hanging around in the right places (or companies)!

Hi All,

While I am not disabled I do see the need for DDA, especially with fire systems.

I don't know the UK regs, but as far as I am aware the ideal recommended height for a person in a wheelchair to operate something, is between 90cm to 120cm. The max recommended height is 140cm.

At 120cm, most people would be able to read the LCD display without a problem, at 140cm most people should be able to do this comfortably.

Regards

Nitro

Guest Thunderfingers
Hi All,

While I am not disabled I do see the need for DDA, especially with fire systems.

I don't know the UK regs, but as far as I am aware the ideal recommended height for a person in a wheelchair to operate something, is between 90cm to 120cm. The max recommended height is 140cm.

At 120cm, most people would be able to read the LCD display without a problem, at 140cm most people should be able to do this comfortably.

Regards

Nitro

Hi Nitro.While I do not dispute the need for equal access and support the DDA in principal,it has been left open for own interpretation and given rise to what I consider silly decisions - there has to be a balance between likely users and location of equipment.If it becomes a hard cast requirement that indicating equipment be installed at this height then a repeater (full function if necessary) should be included in the design stage.

In relation to MCP's the recommended height for them in BS 5839 is 1.4m but there is allowance of less than 200mm to this which is permissable without being a variation,which nearly gives you 1.2m.

The insistance of consultants in putting beacons in disabled toilets for example that gets my goat - why would a hearing impaired person need to use a toilet with disabled access provisions when they can quite happily walk into the male or female toilets.Beacons in all toilets would be better practice and one that I do if required.

how do men Baracus--aginst sparkies?

if so and you are a decent type then i exclude you but i just get fed up of all the c##p i have to put up with by their work and also losing work to them when they don't have a clue.

how do men Baracus--aginst sparkies?

if so and you are a decent type then i exclude you but i just get fed up of all the c##p i have to put up with by their work and also losing work to them when they don't have a clue.

I understand where you are coming from.

ATM im on a large site with close to 30 networked FAP's, now I know for a fact all my work is installed properly and will work.

The subbies have mad a hash of the work they did, FP cable tied to conduits, glands not tight, holes not drilled in the centre of MCP surface boxes, cables flattened, cables stripped with pliers (YES PLIERS) instead of a light nick with the Stanley, mains not wired in FP, no mechanical protection for FP's below 2mtrs........

need I go on?!!!!

Guest Thunderfingers
I understand where you are coming from.

ATM im on a large site with close to 30 networked FAP's, now I know for a fact all my work is installed properly and will work.

The subbies have mad a hash of the work they did, FP cable tied to conduits, glands not tight, holes not drilled in the centre of MCP surface boxes, cables flattened, cables stripped with pliers (YES PLIERS) instead of a light nick with the Stanley, mains not wired in FP, no mechanical protection for FP's below 2mtrs........

need I go on?!!!!

Nope!!!

Archived