Security Installer Community

Replacing Old Ademco Accord - How Simple?

mproudfoot

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for my post: I moved into my current property about 4.5 years ago with an Ademco Accord alarm already installed. We don;t use the alarm much, save for when we're away from the house on holidays etc. Now I think it's had it...

Images of Alarm for identification purposes:

alarm1.JPG

alarm2.JPG

alarm3.JPG

Yesterday, the alarm went off for no apparent reason (only the smoke detector active but no smoke etc) and so I went down and deactivated it.

Woke up this morning hearing an internittent muted wailing from outside. Discovered 20mins later, it was our bell making that noise (not as loud as it usually is). Went downstairs - keypad had absolutely no illumination (first time since I've lived here) and so I went up stairs and found the main control box inside a cupboard. The power led on the control box is off.

I switched ir off the via power switch below the control unit and opened it up. Disconnecting the + terminal on the battery made the bell unit sound even more hyper so I quickly realised that was a tamper thing so i removed the two tamper wires and the sound has now stopped. So basically as it is now, we have no functioning house alarm. No idea what's up with it, there's definitely power coming from the switch unit as it also serves the pump for a whirlpool bath (don;t ask) so the fuse is ok. My guess is either the transformer in the control box or the pcb is knackered - but I'm about as far from being an expert as you can get :)

My question is this:

If I were to order a new inexpensive control box & remote keypad, such as the Accenta Mini G4/LCD RK, how easy would it be for a relative beginner to simply slot the control panel and keypad into the existing locations, assuming I am keeping the current PIRs, smoke detector and bell box? The wires going into the current unit are all clearly marked on the PCB so assuming the labelling terminology isn't too different, I could simply translate them over to a new box.. right? :)

To answer your question:

If all the cables come back to the panel directly inc smoke detector pretty straight forward.

Otherwise you need to be a bit careful with cable junctions etc, in which case might be worth calling in a local guy.

Archived