Security Installer Community

Advice needed on starting up

Guest jamiecs

Guest jamiecs

I would be eternally grateful to anyone able to offer me some advice on any/all of the following 3 questions. Just a forewarning, I am by no stretch of the imagination a security systems guru, so you may have to keep it fairly simple. I have only just started looking into this very recently for a business opportunity. What I am aiming to do first of all is to determine whether this if a feasible line to follow. I need to do the maths, and if the figures look good, then and only then will I start worrying about guidelines etc etc...

1. Is there a compatibility issue when using different wireless PIRs, door/window contacts with different branded wireless receivers?? For example using a Rokonet PIR and a visonic 4 channel receiver or vice versa?

2. The only company giving out details of its wholesale prices is www.alertelectrical.com I wanted to find a group of different suppliers and have access to their price lists. I think many of them make them available to you once you have registered with them over the internet. In order to register, you have to supply a company / trading name. As I mentioned above, I am wanting to see the numbers to make sure this is feasible - I'm not going to start a company when I don't know the costs involved! Can anyone tell me where I can get this sort of information please.

3. Also, can anyone recommend a good trade magazine which is UK specific and concentrates mainly on alarm security?

Many many thanks in advance for your help. :cheersbeer.gif

Guest Affinity

Hi jamie :D

welcome to the site

you will get lots of help once the other moderators and guys are back form work. Simmo can often help in the day but he is moving and his comp is down.

Dave and Steve from Dinefwr will probably answer your posting tonight.

I will be able to give you some help with the magazines and distributors and possibly help you out with a few freebies.

Will send u some details soon

Linda

Hi JamieCS,

welcome to our forums.

1: Yes Detectors and receivers are BRAND specific.

A Visonic receiver will not be compatible with Rokonet pir.

2: Any security company will base its prices around the items you are intending to purchase, what i mean is the more you want the cheaper it gets. Any security outlet will want your business, do not be afraid to approach them and ask for better prices, most will give substantial discounts to get your custom, its a good idea to use several different suppliers, they like nothing more than to undercut the competition.

3: Security Installer

This is possibly the most read magazine in the UK security industry.

Security Voice

Security Voice is the official news website and magazine of the Joint Security Industry Council

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest jamiecs

Guys,

Thanks very much! :rolleyes: You have helped me enormously! I've spent several days hunting around for this sort of info, its nice to just be able to ask a question and get a straight answer. I will get on to contacting some of the suppliers next week (when thank God I will have a free moment!). I am just a little concerned after seeing someone in a shop down the road selling a wireless "Response" alarm with 2xPIRs, 1 door contact, 1 key Fob, a bell box and control panel for £75+vat!!! check out their website www.responseplc.com

Just the detectors and the bell box cost that alone surely!

Well thanks again everyone.

Jamie

Guest Adrian

B) Hi jamie

A thought for you!

I would think long and hard about the direction you wish to take your new bussiness. If you start off using DIY stuff that anyone can get from say B&Q, Argos ect... Then I feel you will make it hard for yourself to compete on price and quality. In the end you will not make as much money as you may like to.

Have you thought about using wired systems. Just about every type of movement sensor can be used with any control panel.They do take a little longer to install and will make more mess on installation.But I love wired sysytems over radio anyday(I will say no more about radio as I like this site and do not wish to be banished for starting a war :no: )

This is just my thoughts you go what ever way you wish to. :rolleyes:

Good luck

Adrian B)

Also consider that there are new standards being implemented from September 1st, any systems available to the general public such as those sold at the major DIY stores will only be CLASS 1 alarm systems.

You should study the new Standards EN50131-1 before deciding what you want to do, I personally think that now is the wrong time to be considering starting in the business as things are going through major changes.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived