Security Installer Community

Ir Question

Baracus

Do modern Infrared cameras have a visible red glow like the old Cameras with the "big bulb" used around Factories and Police Stations?

It depends what you mean by 'modern' cameras Baracus.

Generally speaking, if the camera is equipped with LED's, if they are below 850nM frequency then a red glow will often be visible at night; above 850nM moving towards 900+nM and the emitted light becomes truly "black".

The older Infra Red lamps that glow bright red were normally fitted with 715nM filters that actually passed a lot of lower frequency visible red light. In some situations, that can actually be used to advantage, in order to enhance the deterrent effect.

Again as a generalisation, more visible red is emitted by filtered tungsten bulbs, than LED's quoted at the same frequency (for example 850nM).

I think the red glow my cameras give is reassuring , my house is well "tooled up" when i come home late at night and look up at them , i know all the skrotes would do the same and think , oh //.B.W.F.// to this im gonna break in next door!

Just stuck a uniflood led lamp in the backyard, the dull red glow is a quick way of checking the lights are on, instead of having to go check the cam to make sure they are on.

The uniflood is amazing btw, lights up the yard like a floodlight!

Archived