Security Installer Community

Work Drought

BBSS

Has anyone noticed a recent decline in work? Not necessarily due to the credit crunch just in general?

:no:

Maybe a regional thing or more of an issue for subbies and those geared up for installing to builders as the house market has hit a brick wall :whistle:

Has anyone noticed a recent decline in work? Not necessarily due to the credit crunch just in general?

I wouldnt call it a drought exactly, but it is quiet, seems to be less breakdowns as well as less fresh installs. credit crunch cant be helping matters though.

NUnderstandably, not everyone will admit to being quiet, and there do seem to be exceptions, but it seems to be the same for most. Theres work about, but not as much as usual. I reckon it'll pick up soon as the nights start to get darker, not sure why, but it usually does, at least for us.

This time last year I was flooded with work, now I'm scratching. I've never known it to be this quiet. Being a subby, it's getting a bit worrying.

"25 years of experience has taught us to care about the smaller jobs and given us the expertise to succeed in the larger ones"

Guest anguscanplay

were lucky, we have years of maintanance customers so tend not to notice these things but feel for you guys

keep your costs down, work wiser and you`ll get through it ...............

speaking personally it's been totally manic all year so far with no sign of a let up, i have even stopped wearing my shirts with my logo on, as keept getting stopped and asked to quote this or that job while standing in a line at the sheds.

past experience tells me when things the economy is fine then people will buy the more luxurious items like video door entry systems and/or a more fancier alarm system, when times are harder alarms will still sell because more normally honest people will turn to stealing, but you will perhpas sell only audiable door entry for example, this seems also to aply to any builders you have contact with.

if they knock a house into 8 flats, in hard times there is a minimum spec they need to sell the flats, place next door has same spec then it can be tough in the current market , so they might be persuaded to add a few eye candy frills.

i also think the 'art' of being busy is to be more versatile, not just stick with one discipline as different trades seem to have dry periods at different times of year.

my advice is while you quiet and if say only working in alarms, this is the best time to look into getting networking, telecom and CCTv skills to broaden you appeal. after all, you know how to run cables, and have an idea on programming panels, it's not that hard a transition once you get to know the terminology which you can do on a course.

my main trade is intruder systems,and what i like doing best but a change is as good as a rest to keep you mentally fresh and also enthusiastic.

i also find many clients often like a one call reliable contractor who can handle and help with the overview on many questions, if you can offer advice on more associated trades you can often be used direct or act as aconduit between them, picking up extra works in this way.

regs and good luck who are suffering,

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived