Security Installer Community

Pet Pir Sensors

Hi All,

I am new to the forum but have been reading through lots of posts on this subject on here.

I have a large kitchen diner with a big set of patio doors and at the minute this is where I keep the cat.

I intend on allowing the cat to roam both the kitchen and the hall & stairs once I have had the alarm system modified.

There is not much in the kitchen worth breaking in for but being at the rear would be the easiest point of entry as we live on a busy main road so the front is probably pretty safe. I have been advised that the Bosch Blueline pet detectors are very good as long as they are mounted at least 2m from the cat. Having 2.4m ceilings this shouldn't be a problem apart from when we are out I am sure moggy jumps on the work tops. So if I mounted the sensor the furthest possible distance from the worktops and point at the door would this cause a problem? i.e. things outside the glass?

Also on the stairway and hall if I mount the sensor in the corner at the point where the banister meets the ceiling towards the front door and away from the stairway and put one just off of the top of the stairway I can't see the cat ever getting within 2m of it.

The place which is most vulnerable, the living room with large LCD tv amongst other things is fine as I don't intend on letting the moggy in there unless I am in. So that sensor can be armed all the time.

Anyway does anyone agree/disagree?

It seems the effectiveness of PET sensors depends on where you mount them more than how good the sensor is?

Any help greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Guest RJBsec
I have been advised that the Bosch Blueline pet detectors are very good as long as they are mounted at least 2m from the cat. Having 2.4m ceilings this shouldn't be a problem apart from when we are out I am sure moggy jumps on the work tops. So if I mounted the sensor the furthest possible distance from the worktops and point at the door would this cause a problem? i.e. things outside the glass?

PIR's do not see 'through' glass but can be affected by things happening to the glass including sun/cloud variations so it's better not to face large glass areas where possible.

Cats are very 'mobile' and can challenge the best of pet-PIR's, observe all of the manufacturers advisories very carefully.

Also on the stairway and hall if I mount the sensor in the corner at the point where the banister meets the ceiling towards the front door and away from the stairway and put one just off of the top of the stairway I can't see the cat ever getting within 2m of it.

Do not point the detector toward the stairs and also be careful at ceiling/bannister location, cats have paws that like to play with things they can reach and they can reach it there unless you have a solid bannister - they can also jump through the bannister rails onto the hallway floor, activating the detector as they do so. Many detectors come with 'masking' strips that allow greater flexibility in detection pattern but of course reduces effectiveness accordingly.

PIR's do not see 'through' glass but can be affected by things happening to the glass including sun/cloud variations so it's better not to face large glass areas where possible.

Cats are very 'mobile' and can challenge the best of pet-PIR's, observe all of the manufacturers advisories very carefully.

Do not point the detector toward the stairs and also be careful at ceiling/bannister location, cats have paws that like to play with things they can reach and they can reach it there unless you have a solid bannister - they can also jump through the bannister rails onto the hallway floor, activating the detector as they do so. Many detectors come with 'masking' strips that allow greater flexibility in detection pattern but of course reduces effectiveness accordingly.

Yes I agree with your point about the glass doors maybe I should put the sensor above the doors and point it into the room?

The stairway bannister has very small slats and apart from a paw I think it unlikely to activate the alarm as all he does is sleep on the stairs, he just hates the kitchen.

I have to get new sensors anyway as the old ones are starting to go very creamy and have got paint on them, so I suppose I could just get them and try?

Thanks

Chris

I would fit a contact on the front door, not least because there might be direct access to upstairs via the door and landing switched off on a night time setting.

You mention nothing of value in the kitchen. We've come across breakins with nothing stolen, just the spare set of car keys (car taken days later), house & garage & shed keys, bank receipts and utility bills (fraud sameday).

Never had problems with pet immune detectors and dogs. Cats however...

As mentioned by others, follow instructions to a t.

Have you thought about shocks? Looks pretty straight forward from your plan.

There is of course the "ultimate" solution. How much do you love your cat?

I would fit a contact on the front door, not least because there might be direct access to upstairs via the door and landing switched off on a night time setting.

You mention nothing of value in the kitchen. We've come across breakins with nothing stolen, just the spare set of car keys (car taken days later), house & garage & shed keys, bank receipts and utility bills (fraud sameday).

Yes it becomes all too clear the endless possibilities of your average burglar. The spare car keys, never thought of that one.

Never had problems with pet immune detectors and dogs. Cats however...

As mentioned by others, follow instructions to a t.

Have you thought about shocks? Looks pretty straight forward from your plan.

What are shocks, I take it they fit to the window or door and detect vibration?

There is of course the "ultimate" solution. How much do you love your cat?

Yes and it would save me a fortune in food and curtains/carpets...lol. I suppose I could kick him out while the alarm is on...ha ha

I suppose I can try one setup and rearrange it if it isn't working but I won't compromise on the security aspect just for the cat.

Thanks

Chris

Guest RJBsec

From your plan:

1) Kitchen - the problem with pointing the detector "into the room" is making sure that it doesn't pick you up 'through the doorway' as you come downstairs, assuming that you leave the door open for the cat. If that isn't an issue then to the right of the patio doors would seem to be a good location.

2) Front room sensor could be better looking into the room from the front left, (adjacent to the hallway).

3) You may think that your cat only sleeps on the stairs but that isn't necessarily the case, I would still use caution with a sensor in that location - contact and shock sensor on the front door might be the better option.

4) The landing sensor might be better at the opposite end, away from the end of the stairs.

Again I stress that as I haven't surveyed your property this is just casual advice.

From your plan:

1) Kitchen - the problem with pointing the detector "into the room" is making sure that it doesn't pick you up 'through the doorway' as you come downstairs, assuming that you leave the door open for the cat. If that isn't an issue then to the right of the patio doors would seem to be a good location.

2) Front room sensor could be better looking into the room from the front left, (adjacent to the hallway).

3) You may think that your cat only sleeps on the stairs but that isn't necessarily the case, I would still use caution with a sensor in that location - contact and shock sensor on the front door might be the better option.

4) The landing sensor might be better at the opposite end, away from the end of the stairs.

Again I stress that as I haven't surveyed your property this is just casual advice.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Just a few questions for RJBsec

1) Yes I think me coming down the stairs past the door would probably set it off so I think i'll have to keep it where the sensor is now as it has never gone off even in streaming sunshine.

2) Yes good suggestion, never thought about doing that.

3) Yes again a shock sensor and contact on the front door is great idea as it is right next to the panel. Any recommendations on model or where to buy near sunny Leeds, I have seen securitywarehouse.co.uk? Also are they easy to fix to a pvc door and frame? (i'm assuming they don't just stick on)

4) I think the landing is the only place I will struggle to get a sensor fitted that the cat won't set off. But I think having just a front door contact might be enough. The only points of entry to get to the stairs are the front room and kitchen but they are all covered. I intend to have sensors in all the rear upper rooms so that is not a problem. I suppose they could take the window out of the sides of the front door but maybe the shock sensor would catch them doing that? And hopefully the beading is on the inside...ooops I never checked that, will check tonight.

My friend is an electrician and I have managed to give him a little twist on the arm for some support in fitting these new sensors. Obviously once I detatch the old sensors with alarm deactivated I am expecting the alarm not to go off? In case it does I take it the code or engineers code will silience it?

Thanks again for all the great support.

Chris

Archived