Security Installer Community

Brass Japs

I have just noticed an electrical company who above ceiling`s have been surface clipping their fire cables with inch 8 brass slots. To be honest have`nt done this myself for about 10 years have been using inch 8 pozi pan heads a lot easier and quicker to install. when I was with protec we had a sub contract project engineer who insisted all our slotted screws were paralel with the cable (micc) and all our devices slotted screws were horizantal even if they are above ceilings.

Just wondering what every body else thinks standards slipping or OTT, Personally I think it is down to narrower margins having to find ways to get the job done in the time allowed. But would be intersested to see other peoples input on this as I am always striving to keep my standards up as I take a bit of pride in my Installs.

Regards

Steven Sneddon

When we all listened to Simon Bates 'Our Tune' , I would agree that was the craic with mineral , personally I would ban slot headed screws , how many times have you struggled to get them out when they have been bashed into yellow rawlplugs . Long live the Philips , oh no its a posi-drive. :rolleyes:

I have just noticed an electrical company who above ceiling`s have been surface clipping their fire cables with inch 8 brass slots. To be honest have`nt done this myself for about 10 years have been using inch 8 pozi pan heads a lot easier and quicker to install. when I was with protec we had a sub contract project engineer who insisted all our slotted screws were paralel with the cable (micc) and all our devices slotted screws were horizantal even if they are above ceilings.

Just wondering what every body else thinks standards slipping or OTT, Personally I think it is down to narrower margins having to find ways to get the job done in the time allowed. But would be intersested to see other peoples input on this as I am always striving to keep my standards up as I take a bit of pride in my Installs.

Regards

Steven Sneddon

Pozi drives personally....

however, in the old days of slotted blackjaps, we did follow the same rules of keeping the slots parellel, except on walls where the slots were always vertical to prevent dust settling.

Still do the same on any wall mounted equipment today..... old habits i suppose.......!!

edit.... can we say "blackjaps" anymore or has it been banned. Should i be hung drawn and quartered..........??

Guest Cerberus NI
Pozi drives personally....

however, in the old days of slotted blackjaps, we did follow the same rules of keeping the slots parellel, except on walls where the slots were always vertical to prevent dust settling.

Still do the same on any wall mounted equipment today..... old habits i suppose.......!!

edit.... can we say "blackjaps" anymore or has it been banned. Should i be hung drawn and quartered..........??

Flamin' OCD if you ask me!!!

Guest G.J.M

Regards

Steven Sneddon

i hate single slot screw and the brass ones with pyro are for the old school.

posi everytime.

p.s i find that avatar offensive. :banned::P

Guest Cerberus NI
i hate single slot screw and the brass ones with pyro are for the old school.

posi everytime.

p.s i find that avatar offensive. :banned::P

Yeah,why can't he get one like Cubit!

Archived