Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9751 - Wiring Smoke Detectors In Series

Couple of quick questions, as the description states, is there a problem or issues when wiring smoke detectors in series?

Can you add several Scantronic wireless detectors to a single zone?

does the telecommand act as a detector, in other words, once 8 detectors have been allocated to the RFX, can you still use a telecommand unit on top of that?

Thanks

Guest anguscanplay
Quick question, as the description states, is there a problem or issues when wiring smoke detectors in series? one assumed they would be (as long as they latch) Also, are there any considerations needed when connecting detectors in series, ie, connecting a PIR with a door contact? other than the FACT you dont ever wire a contact and a PIR on the same circuit

Thanks

quick answer ?

Guest anguscanplay
The hints and tips page says: "A single zone can have different sensor types connected to the one cable, via appropriate tamper-proof junction boxes....Since PIR

Guest anguscanplay
So what has changed then, and why is this not good practice? I've got Honeywell DT Pirs with bog standard door contacts if that helps your answer

nothings changed, the OLD rules would let you put upto 10 doors on a circuit or on a seperate circuit PIRS that indicated which one had activated ( so called latching ) but never to put a door and a PIR together

the 10 door rule was supposed to be because a faulty door contact would be easy to find 1st time, but trust me they never were

nothings changed, the OLD rules would let you put upto 10 doors on a circuit or on a seperate circuit PIRS that indicated which one had activated ( so called latching ) but never to put a door and a PIR together

the 10 door rule was supposed to be because a faulty door contact would be easy to find 1st time, but trust me they never were

But technically why not do this? If I'm only going to have two detectors max on any circuit, I'm not too bothered about finding out which detector set it off.

Guest anguscanplay
But technically why not do this? If I'm only going to have two detectors max on any circuit, I'm not too bothered about finding out which detector set it off.

technically you COULD have as many detectors on a circuit as YOU want, we can`t cause were getting paid for it LOL

however, I`ll bet your neighbours would be bothered about finding out which detector is was !

if your going to do anything then you might as well do it right?

technically you COULD have as many detectors on a circuit as YOU want, we can`t cause were getting paid for it LOL

however, I`ll bet your neighbours would be bothered about finding out which detector is was !

if your going to do anything then you might as well do it right?

Sorry, I meant why not have a PIR and a door contact on the same circuit, will there be a conflict? I'm interested in this in order to claim back some zones...and I'm not going to buy a new panel with more zones.

I've got CCTV covering the door entrance, so there will only be a problem if I can see that there is no forced entry, and if there is a problem, I'm happy to isolate one or the other.

Sorry, I meant why not have a PIR and a door contact on the same circuit, will there be a conflict? I'm interested in this in order to claim back some zones...and I'm not going to buy a new panel with more zones.

I've got CCTV covering the door entrance, so there will only be a problem if I can see that there is no forced entry, and if there is a problem, I'm happy to isolate one or the other.

As already discussed it is techniacally possible to have a pir and a door contact on the same circuit.

If either detctor activates the alarm will activate as long as they are wired in series, the problem is that if either detector triggers it is more difficult to find the fault.

If I was desperate for zones I would (as an experinced engineer) consider putting a contact on the same circuit as one electronic detector but only because I know how to tell the difference between a faulty pir and a faulty contact. I would also only do it in my own home.

Given the relatively low cost of multizone panels these days there really isn't much excuse for not splitting things up.

Also bear in mind that if you put an external door on the same circuit as a PIR you will lose the ability to have the door on chime (unless you want the chime on the PIR as well).

Archived