Security Installer Community

Might Need Some Help For My Course

After speaking to the two lads that did it yesterday the calculations are bty life calculations which in itself every alarm engineer should know but then they started harping on about what bty lifes in different circumstances ie wether the panel is on a manned site, if it signals mains fail on the redcare, if its got a generator. From what I gather they were keeping a lot of stuff under wraps so they arent made to look stupid (doesnt take much hehe)

I just wanted to do a bit of prep work before I go to the course so what they teach before the test sinks in lol so any info would be great, ill find out the exact course details on Tuesday

And what you are talking about here is not necessarily about calculation, its about regulations and what minimum standby duration is required under the circumstances you describe....

you really do need a copy of the regs !!

Guest Cerberus NI
And what you are talking about here is not necessarily about calculation, its about regulations and what minimum standby duration is required under the circumstances you describe....

you really do need a copy of the regs !!

Been sorted.

The battery calculations are the only calculation in that course and once you get your head round the formula it is very easy.The formula looks complicated but once simplified it's a doddle.

I1 (panel standby current) X T1 (standby battery duration required i.e 24hrs) + I2 (panel alarm current) X 1.25 (de-rating factor of battery) =

for example you have a control panel for an L1 system that requires 24 hour battery back up,draws 30mA in standby and 150ma in alarm then the minimum size of batteries required to provide the duration required would be

0.030 x 24 + 0.150 x 1.25 = 1.0875. so a 1.2 ah battery would be required.

Cool thats the main thing that was getting me but that explains it well. Thanks to cerberus as well for the help with the regs, Ive been working my way through em and theres a lot I didnt know, In fact on some parts ive been overdoing the service lol. I appreciate all the help though and will let you know how the course goes.

Andy

Guest Cerberus NI
Cool thats the main thing that was getting me but that explains it well. Thanks to cerberus as well for the help with the regs, Ive been working my way through em and theres a lot I didnt know, In fact on some parts ive been overdoing the service lol. I appreciate all the help though and will let you know how the course goes.

Andy

Be careful - you'll be getting the boot for being a snart ass!!

Not from here fella, I think he meant your employer :)

You don't get kicked out of here for being a smartalex you get called things instead ;)

Lmao weve got enough trouble keeping hold of engineers as it is

Guest G.J.M
Be careful - you'll be getting the boot for being a snart ass!!

snart ass!!!!

must be an Irish thing.

Guest Cerberus NI
snart ass!!!!

must be an Irish thing.

Aye - it's for the not so clever who would love to be a smart one!!!

Archived