Security Installer Community

Diy Advice Please

As always I've found loads of useful information on this site but do have a few questions unanswered. Unless I glean any other information to change my mind, my intention is to purchase a 4 Channel DVR (probably with a 250GB HD), 2 day/night cameras to cover the drive and a shared private road that adjoins the drive, with the option at a later stage to add two cameras to the rear of the property. I was planning on using RG59+2 cable and locating the DVR and power supply in the loft with the ability to view images on the TV in the living room and operate the DVR using a remote extender.

I live in a bungalow so camera sighting high up is limited and I obviously don't want to place any cameras so low they can be covered or damaged. One of the places I was looking at placing a camera was in the red circle on the photo below or a bit higher up so that it can't be reached from the wall at the side. This camera will be for recognition as I can't quite afford to go for identification.

This would cover the drive. I have digested all of the information about field of view and think I understand my needs in relation to lens specifications. Obviously the higher up the camera goes the further it will be from the target and the more I'm going to have to spend on it to get a larger lens.

If I place the camera there what is the best way to fix it? I was maybe thinking of some kind of pole if the camera can be attached this way.

As you can see this area is quite exposed. I was looking at cameras on RF Concepts website and haven't decided which one yet based on my requirements. When they claim cameras are waterproof are they likely to last in such an exposed area?

The drive is illuminated a bit by two 100w lights so I'm not planning to buy a seperate IR light as budget has to be considered against quality of images. I have noted the comments about spiders on the IR cameras.

When running the cable I already have power cables and alarm cables running through the loft (obviously not together). Does the RJ59+2 cable have to run separately, would it be affected by running next to the power cables? Or would the alarm be affected if run next to the alarm cable? (I presume so because of the power in the RJ59+2) If this is going to be a problem would it be possible to run RJ59 with alarm cable and then the power cables alongside normal T&E cable. It's just that space is limited in the loft keeping the alarm and power separate.

Any other comments or suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.

view.jpg

Camera's being used, why not go for some vandal proof domes? Because your in a Bungalow and the hight is limited, whats stopping some body coming up behind the camera and turning it away? As for your cables always try and run cables away from other power sources. cheers

My Name is Iain

iStorm Security Solutions

Camera's being used, why not go for some vandal proof domes? Because your in a Bungalow and the hight is limited, whats stopping some body coming up behind the camera and turning it away? As for your cables always try and run cables away from other power sources. cheers

Thanks, iSTORM. I'll bear that in mind and do it bit more studying.

Are there any disadvantages with domes? I thought I'd read somewhere on here that the picture quality wasn't quite as good as standard body cameras.

Is mounting on a pole a valid option?

Can normal RJ59 be run with alarm cable or will that cause interference to either CCTV or alarm?

In think in your situation Domes would be the best solution, (ANTI VANDAL) then you dont need the pole! As for poor quality most body camera's will have the same or simaler type camera in side! As for running rg59+2 next to alarm cable it should be ok, Best not where possible but as you have a tight loft space you dont have a lot of options, just keep them away from the twin & earth that WILL cause you problems. Looking at your picture you could bring the cable through the loft, drop it down inside the garage, then come through the wall (where your coach light is) straight into the back of the dome limiting the need to show any cables! Hope this helps, cheers

Just a thought, if you buy a network DVR you could leave it in secure area (Not sure the loft is a good idea to much dust etc) but a locked unit, then network it to your home pc and access it that way!

My Name is Iain

iStorm Security Solutions

as previous post, not good to place the DVR in the loft due to dust and summer heat/winter cold and damp.

i would say networking is a good option, but bare in mind cheaper DVRs tend to be very slow on transmission speed over network, one i tried took some 30 seconds to send it's images.

if you are going for a budget unit then ensure it has an IR remote option, that way you could use a simple ir link for control (as used with dvd and vcr's etc), yhen viewing on the Tv's via a UHF to composite converter inserted into you aerial lead.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

as previous post, not good to place the DVR in the loft due to dust and summer heat/winter cold and damp.

Thanks for that iSTORM and arfur mo.

As a lamen :question: can you just confrim that the dome would be attached to a bracket on the wall or fixed horizontally flat aginst the wall?

In relation to siting the DVR in the loft I was thinking about this location because it is obviously secure, it would be right above the living room TV so no problem with IR control link (but we do have problems with these devices through the solid internal walls). I take your points about the dust, damp, heat and cold. However, having thought about that I was planning to put it inside a cupboard. Would that make enough difference in your opinions or should I just stay well clear of the loft?

The vandal domes can fit horizontally on a bracket, depending on manufacturer, but it makes them more vulnerable to vandalism - they normally fit vertically flat onto the wall, the base being fixed directly to the wall with large screws or preferably some type of fixing bolt.

I also advise against fiting in the loft, even in a cupboard - better to fit it in a downstairs cupboard, (you could fit a lock), or inside of a purpose built metal recorder case.

The vandal domes can fit horizontally on a bracket, depending on manufacturer, but it makes them more vulnerable to vandalism - they normally fit vertically flat onto the wall, the base being fixed directly to the wall with large screws or preferably some type of fixing bolt.

I also advise against fiting in the loft, even in a cupboard - better to fit it in a downstairs cupboard, (you could fit a lock), or inside of a purpose built metal recorder case.

OK advice taken by everyone, will get it inside the top of my bedroom wardrobe. Thanks to everyone that helped with this question.

Thanks for that iSTORM and arfur mo.

As a lamen :question: can you just confrim that the dome would be attached to a bracket on the wall or fixed horizontally flat aginst the wall?

In relation to siting the DVR in the loft I was thinking about this location because it is obviously secure, it would be right above the living room TV so no problem with IR control link (but we do have problems with these devices through the solid internal walls). I take your points about the dust, damp, heat and cold. However, having thought about that I was planning to put it inside a cupboard. Would that make enough difference in your opinions or should I just stay well clear of the loft?

many suppliers offer VR Domes now which have 3 axis gimbles allowing direct virtical wall mounting while also allowing the camera to be easily orientated as required. for about

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived