Security Installer Community

Optimaxl6

Gwynfryn

Hi All

Can anyone please help me? I either need a manual for my alarm proccessor "optimaxl6" or some advice.

My problem started like this!!!!!

The other day my upstairs lighting circuit fuse blew, being a saturday night and no shops open i was unable to purchase fuse wire. you know how it is you can never find any when you want some and being on 12 hr day shifts was not able to get to the DIY store to get replacements.

This in itself was not a problem BUT what i did not know was that my proccessor panel was fed from this circuit, then 24hrs later when the battery died the bell box outside started singing.

I changed the fuse but even thought the alarm panel came alive nothing seems to be working,

i have the following lights iluminated;

Zones 3 to 4

the power light

attack light

tamper light

day light

When i attampt a reset none of the panel buttons seem to work, Is there a fix for this?

Please help

Best regards Gwynfryn :cry::)

Hi Gwynfryn,

Its looks like the battery has gone in the panel.

Best advice would be to contact a local installer to come along and have a look and service the system.

How old was the last battery??

You could purchase a battery yourself.....turn of power.....wait 10 seconds......power on and then reconnect new battery.....enter number to silence alarm then reset.

This might work but the Optima range have a tendency to blow the charging circuit on the panel if battery has not been changed for a long time.

Please remember that there is 240v present in the panel so if you are not competent then i would get an engineer in.

Batteries can be purchased from your local maplins or sparky wholesale outlet.

This panel is also an old one and you could think of upgrading as the panels nowadays have many more features.

Thanks

Willie

!

As Willie has said Optima panels do have tendancy's to blow at the smallest thing, infact some say there always dying! When you enter the code do you get keypad tones or is there nothing? I have seen so many of these panels that once they have lost all power they never come back alive again! Doesnt sound to healthy by the sound of things!!

And to top things of WHY has somebody wired your mains power into a lighting ring?? almost as bad as one i seen a couple of weeks ago wired into (Economy 7) Everytime the economy 7 went of so did the panel!

*DANGER* Remember 240v in the panel, As my late Father used to say, Electricity... you cant see it, smell it, or hear it but my god it will kill you!

My Name is Iain

iStorm Security Solutions

i am interested now, which regulation says you are not allowed to tap into a lighting ring main, i know it is not best practise, because of the reason given, ie if the bulb blows then the circuit is down , but surely the same logic applies to a socket ring main. :)

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

All

Many thanks for your help and advice, I was not expecting such a fast response your all brilliant, The system is back up and running Ok now "tried and tested" isolating supply and disconnecting the battery worked.

I have changed all my fuse wire carriers to MCB's to get over my laziness of not putting fuse wire in a convenient location. I.e. right next to the consumer unit; better than wife & three daughters moaning about no upstairs lighting;

The date on the battery is 2001 so will certainly start sourcing a new replacement. I was wondering about the supply to the alarm panel where should it be supplied from? What is the norm for these systems? And how much would a battery cost? Best estimate.

And thanks for the advice on Electricity i know it can bite and hard too. I make the stuff so am very respectful of the energy and forces involved. But it

Guest anguscanplay
I have changed all my fuse wire carriers to MCB's to get over my laziness of not putting fuse wire in a convenient location.

oh dear - I was sure the requirment to comply with Part P of the building regs applied in Wales too ?

Guest Cerberus NI
oh dear - I was sure the requirment to comply with Part P of the building regs applied in Wales too ?

Part P - that pops up as often as neon testers and usually goes the same way!!!

agreed that changing of the consumer unit does come under part p, but cannot find were it says you cannot swap a fuse over to a mcb, as long as it is, the correct rating for the circuit......please correct if incorrect..

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest anguscanplay
agreed that changing of the consumer unit does come under part p, but cannot find were it says you cannot swap a fuse over to a mcb, as long as it is, the correct rating for the circuit......please correct if incorrect..

your altering the charecteristics of the protective device so it needs certifying - I`ll post the actual text laters

certifying yes, but part p is about, what,you need to notify to your local building inspectorate is it not..,

Guest anguscanplay
certifying yes, but part p is about, what,you need to notify to your local building inspectorate is it not..,

er ? yes, and what do you think the BCO or the scheme member sparky do to show it complies - they issue a certificate LOL

yes but the way i understand it, part p legistration covers certain areas of electrical work which is under gone, which needs to be notified to the local authority. whether that be throught a third party ( ie a scheme ) or direct.. a certificate is issued to say that the person carrying out that work, has done so to a certain standard. (a copy of which is used to notify under part p)

Guest anguscanplay
yes but the way i understand it, part p legistration covers certain areas of electrical work which is under gone, which needs to be notified to the local authority. whether that be throught a third party ( ie a scheme ) or direct.. a certificate is issued to say that the person carrying out that work, has done so to a certain standard. (a copy of which is used to notify under part p)

your almost right but its the other way round - everything electrical needs certifying EXCEPT the things listed in section 2B (so yes, they can tell you not to do work in your own house LOL)

The Building Regulations say:

A person who intends to carry out building work is not required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists only of work

A happy customer..

He has fixed his faulty alarm

Learned the benefit of having a healthy back-up battery , cost of replacement , and where to source.

Increased the safety of his whole electrical system..

Had the use of a knowledgeable forum , and acknowledged it...

Why then drag it down to Part P level....why not let another forum have that argument again?.

phoned my local building inspectorate , and he said he would not expect to be notified under part p regs, if someone changed fuse wire to mcb, but he did add that changing the consumer unit itself is covered..........

he did go on to say that there were lots of loopholes open to different interurpretations ,,ha ha

topic closed for me......

Guest anguscanplay
Why then drag it down to Part P level....

er? because its a legal requirment ? (even though KKA was wrongly advised) or because the OP hasnt improved his protection? or because we dont want his house to burn down ?

take yer pick, or shall we just ignore those bits no body likes?

Archived