Security Installer Community

Lens Problem

sjonley

Reflective window tinting film ;)

hi alpat,

i've wondered about using that idea in the past, but thought it would cut out to much light,

bit like tinted glass on skid lids or like our local ASDA's, it has those real large windows with tinted glass, and has the effect of making you think it's about to rain heavy or snow - even on a bright sunny day :P .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

We used the silver reflective film on a job a while back. The cameras where Samsung SDN-550. The site was a chalk quarry with lots of galvanised roofed sheds, which caused a nightmare with reflections.

http://www.shop.visionwindowfilms.co.uk/an...windowfilm.html

hi alpat,

i've wondered about using that idea in the past, but thought it would cut out to much light,

bit like tinted glass on skid lids or like our local ASDA's, it has those real large windows with tinted glass, and has the effect of making you think it's about to rain heavy or snow - even on a bright sunny day :P .

regs

alan

would using nd or polarising filters do the same effect?

What would you do if the camera was a speeddome?

This problem is apparent on a site I recently did a demonstration at. The existing statics had a very bad problem with sun light reflections and although changing the cameras or repositioning them may be of benefit, some sort of anti-glare would [probably be more beneficial to the exterior of the housing.

How is the "Anti Glare Window Film" applied?

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

I'd have thought that a polarising filter would have a similiar effect.

Speed dome = http://www.cleardomes.com

The window film is really easy to apply = http://www.visionwindowfilms.co.uk/fitting...sflatglass.html

would using nd or polarising filters do the same effect?

What would you do if the camera was a speeddome?

This problem is apparent on a site I recently did a demonstration at. The existing statics had a very bad problem with sun light reflections and although changing the cameras or repositioning them may be of benefit, some sort of anti-glare would [probably be more beneficial to the exterior of the housing.

How is the "Anti Glare Window Film" applied?

I'd have thought that a polarising filter would have a similiar effect.

Unfortunately not ....

Unless we can find a way to make the sun stay in the same place, standard polarising filters are really only useful for cutting down low intensity reflections, when the light is reflected at a constant polarity (if that makes sense); otherwise you'd need to constantly readjust the filter to maintain an optimum setting.

Neutral Density wouldn't really help as you'd be reducing light throughput across the image, so reflected sunlight would probably still be way above an acceptable level for the imager. The best solution will always be careful positioning to exclude highly reflective or intense highlight areas.

I've got the same problem, I have a south facing garden and the camera faces the sun for most of the morning as it rises. My camera is probably about 10 deg down from the horizontal, I was considering extending the sun shield, it's an all-in-one type rather than a box in a enclosure. In this instance, would you normally slide the camera further back a bit to avoid the rays?

The best solution would be reactolite lenses like you get with spectacles, but I have not found a lens manufacturer that does a similar lens for the cctv market. practicality, quality and cost could be major issues.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Archived