Security Installer Community

Abacus 6 ? Testing

Hi there

I have a DA Systems Abacus 6 alarm ( from the diagram in the operator instructions - althought the separate system set info only mentions Abacus 8,15,64,72) that is approx 11 years old and was pre installed in our house. I have just tried testing the system as I want to make sure it is all ok prior to setting it up. A couple of things have occurred that the manual doesnt help with.

1. The PIR's have little red leds on them to show when they are active. These do not appear to be lighting up under any scenario, on any of the PIR's.

2.When I go through the 'walkthrough' test, the display seems to cycle through the zones but nothing else happens other than a faint two tone beep which goes on continuously at the control panel.

3. I have 2 panic buttons installed (the square two finger press down - key release type). The one downstairs seems to work and set off the alarm regardless of how it is set, however the one upstairs doesnt set the alarm off but does give a 6T code on the panel (zone 6 tamper).

4. We have cats in the house - are there particular PIR's that lend themselves to animal avoidance or is it purely the angle at which any PIR is set that determines what it will catch as movement.

Many Thx

Guest anguscanplay
Hi there

I have a DA Systems Abacus 6 alarm ( from the diagram in the operator instructions - althought the separate system set info only mentions Abacus 8,15,64,72) that is approx 11 years old and was pre installed in our house. I have just tried testing the system as I want to make sure it is all ok prior to setting it up. A couple of things have occurred that the manual doesnt help with.

1. The PIR's have little red leds on them to show when they are active. These do not appear to be lighting up under any scenario, on any of the PIR's.

some do, some dont - I wouldnt worry yet

2.When I go through the 'walkthrough' test, the display seems to cycle through the zones but nothing else happens other than a faint two tone beep which goes on continuously at the control panel.

now I would be worried - possibly a blown fuse?

3. I have 2 panic buttons installed (the square two finger press down - key release type). The one downstairs seems to work and set off the alarm regardless of how it is set, however the one upstairs doesnt set the alarm off but does give a 6T code on the panel (zone 6 tamper).

ah now it becomes clearer - I suspect a carpet fitter has cut through the cable at some time (blowing the fuse too) and got the wires wrong

4. We have cats in the house - are there particular PIR's that lend themselves to animal avoidance or is it purely the angle at which any PIR is set that determines what it will catch as movement.

some claim "pet immunity..." but its really just clever masking of the detection pattern and a high beam count - you can get the same effect sticking tape over the lens LOL

Many Thx

I have to say " might be better to let an engineer have a look....." certainly it`ll be easier

regrds

Angus

Thanks for the feedback

I have contacted 3 or 4 local security installation companies, all of whom have given a similar response ....

.... a suck of the teeth ... 'mmm wont have the manuals for something that old ... we could come and take a look but you're probably gonnna have to upgrade to something newer ....'

I've found a number for a local Bosch agent but it only mentioned support for the 'easy system' whatever that is.

Anyone know of a company in the Slough area who might service these older units. I'm not overly interested in paying

... so I found a Bosch affiliated security company in my area ... the person that took my call assured me that they support the old abacus system and could arrange for someone to come and service my alarm.

Lo and behold ... the guy turns up .. takes one look at the unit ... sucks his teeth and says .... 'this is the old modular system .. we dont carry parts or anything for these ... ang on

He proceeded to call the office for confirmation ... which he got ...

So one and a half hours later we know no more than I had already discovered by my own testing through the user guide. 4 Pir's which didnt seem to be sensing and a panic button not working correctly. On the basis that the engineer wasnt overly familiar with this type of alarm, he was happy enough to tell me that it should be replaced.

... well I guess this is how it works then ...

However, I must apologise for my previous wild estimate of

You don't need to be fluent in Abacus to be able to fault find,like Angus says,it is quite possibly a blown fuse,or a damaged cable. Maybe even the previous occupant decided to tamper with the alarm in order to decorate or something and cocked it up. I'm sorry the companies you have contacted so far haven't been much use, try a few from this link,don't give up :)

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...p?showforum=209

With regard to Pet Imune detectors,I have used loads of Visonic K-980's,with no problems,they are good for pets up to 50Kg.

Well .. Morgan / Angus ... you were both partially correct in your diagnosis of my problem ...

The engineer that came to complete a 'Pre - maintenenace expection & Service', left me a report quoting the following :

Zone 1 is ok

Zones 2 - 5 not working

Zone 6 PA downstairs ok

Zone 6 PA upstairs not working

System works when all zones omitted

No speaker on site

Please quote for 1 x Castle panel ... blah blah ...

So the following day I was talking to my next door neighbour who has recently built a conservatory and installed an new pir in that area. It became apparent that he had fitted alarms in the past and was interested in my problem. The following morning he popped round and within 5 minutes had found the problem. One of the 3 fuses had blown (which annoyed me even more when I know that I asked the engineer if the fuses were ok - yeah they're fine - he had replied).

Anyway fuse replaced system tested and guess what ... strangely enough every thing worked .. except Zone 1 !! .. The back door sensor had been mis installed and could never have given an alarm postion.

There is also a very obvious speaker at the back of the unit which announced itself very clearly after the fuse was sorted.

All's well that ends well I guess, just really annoys me that I took a reasonable amount of time and effort to find a Bosch affiliated company who, I was told during my initial call to them, supported the system that I had.

BTW .. the pir's that I have are at least 12 years old and I would guess that technology has far surpassed them . I have been looking at the scantronic 430 or the K980's. Bosch also make some pet tolerants units too, but whichever I go for .. would I expect to be able to swap out old for new (wiring wise) ?.

Also I am looking to beef up my front door as there has been a spate of burglaries in the area, some where the front door has been kicked in. I know this is an alarm thread but if anyone has any thoughts on doors / locks I would be grateful.

Thx.

Well .. Morgan / Angus ... you were both partially correct in your diagnosis of my problem ...

The engineer that came to complete a 'Pre - maintenenace expection & Service', left me a report quoting the following :

Zone 1 is ok

Zones 2 - 5 not working

Zone 6 PA downstairs ok

Zone 6 PA upstairs not working

System works when all zones omitted

No speaker on site

Please quote for 1 x Castle panel ... blah blah ...

So the following day I was talking to my next door neighbour who has recently built a conservatory and installed an new pir in that area. It became apparent that he had fitted alarms in the past and was interested in my problem. The following morning he popped round and within 5 minutes had found the problem. One of the 3 fuses had blown (which annoyed me even more when I know that I asked the engineer if the fuses were ok - yeah they're fine - he had replied).

Anyway fuse replaced system tested and guess what ... strangely enough every thing worked .. except Zone 1 !! .. The back door sensor had been mis installed and could never have given an alarm postion.

There is also a very obvious speaker at the back of the unit which announced itself very clearly after the fuse was sorted.

All's well that ends well I guess, just really annoys me that I took a reasonable amount of time and effort to find a Bosch affiliated company who, I was told during my initial call to them, supported the system that I had.

BTW .. the pir's that I have are at least 12 years old and I would guess that technology has far surpassed them . I have been looking at the scantronic 430 or the K980's. Bosch also make some pet tolerants units too, but whichever I go for .. would I expect to be able to swap out old for new (wiring wise) ?.

Also I am looking to beef up my front door as there has been a spate of burglaries in the area, some where the front door has been kicked in. I know this is an alarm thread but if anyone has any thoughts on doors / locks I would be grateful.

Thx.

Assuming the cables are ok, and from what you've said they seem to be then there is no reason why you can't replace the detectors and keep the existing wiring.

As for locks, can't really help you other than to suggest you contact a reputable locksmith.

Archived