Security Installer Community

Looking For Some Basic Outdoor Cctv Information

gidmiller

Hello,

I hope someone is feeling charitable with their time and wont mind helping me with a little basic information - I am writing a business plan for a company that is developing a new higher resolution security camera for outdoor applications. For this I need to understand the current state of the art. I would be very grateful for some opinions and pointers on the following:

1) what current cameras would you recommend for monitoring the outer perimeter of a sensitive facility (oil-refinery, transportation facility, etc.) ?

2) what would be a typical price per unit for the recommended camera (to the end user and to the trade) ?

3) what would you consider to be the effective range of this camera (ie, every how many meters would you want to install one) ?

4) what is a reasonable estimate of the total installed cost per camera (ie, if you include cost of the appropriate mast, mounting, communications, etc.) ?

5) what is a reasonable estimate of annual maintenance cost per camera for an outdoor system ?

6) what would you recommend for night operation if using this camera ?

I realize this is a long list, but any of the above information would be very useful to me.

By the way, if I receive several opinions I will be happy to compile them and post a summary if that would be useful to people.

Thanks very much in advance.

Hello,

I hope someone is feeling charitable with their time and wont mind helping me with a little basic information - I am writing a business plan for a company that is developing a new higher resolution security camera for outdoor applications. For this I need to understand the current state of the art. I would be very grateful for some opinions and pointers on the following:

1) what current cameras would you recommend for monitoring the outer perimeter of a sensitive facility (oil-refinery, transportation facility, etc.) ?

2) what would be a typical price per unit for the recommended camera (to the end user and to the trade) ?

3) what would you consider to be the effective range of this camera (ie, every how many meters would you want to install one) ?

4) what is a reasonable estimate of the total installed cost per camera (ie, if you include cost of the appropriate mast, mounting, communications, etc.) ?

5) what is a reasonable estimate of annual maintenance cost per camera for an outdoor system ?

I realize this is a long list, but any of the above information would be very useful to me.

By the way, if I receive several opinions I will be happy to compile them and post a summary if that would be useful to people.

hmmmm!

1 what would you suggest as a car to buy for me?

2 what would you suggest the kind of terrain i would use it over?

3 what would the price of that car be both outright or lease (perhaps hp)

see where this is going yet? you can't jump start or leap frog personal experience, literally thousands of camera's to choose from with differing qualities and prices. some sites need fixed others ptz or a mixture, covert or aggressively obvious to deter, domestic internal - ant-vandal or even terrorist proof.

i suggest you hold back and go to IFSEC in a few months time, talk to all the stands and you will be as ill informed as us lot :P

Norbain will come along to your site, assess and recommend the camera's for you, even turn up in a demo van to show the client what they are buying. all you gt to do after is fit it - what a breeze

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Firstly, I CAN recommend a car for you to buy - it is conveniently dripping oil outside in my driveway during one of its rare days home from the mechanics! ;)

At any rate, I understand that I am starting from a very ignorant place and no doubt deserved the cold water from both replies so far. I would definitely wait for IFSEC if I could, but I dont set the schedule - such is the life of a management consultant.

Since this seems something with too many permutations to be reasonably covered by on-line posts, is there anyone who would be willing to suffer a telephone discussion with me about the various considerations that go into high-end outdoor surveillance applications ?

Thanks again,

Guid.

hmmmm!

1 what would you suggest as a car to buy for me?

2 what would you suggest the kind of terrain i would use it over?

3 what would the price of that car be both outright or lease (perhaps hp)

see where this is going yet? you can't jump start or leap frog personal experience, literally thousands of camera's to choose from with differing qualities and prices. some sites need fixed others ptz or a mixture, covert or aggressively obvious to deter, domestic internal - ant-vandal or even terrorist proof.

i suggest you hold back and go to IFSEC in a few months time, talk to all the stands and you will be as ill informed as us lot :P

Norbain will come along to your site, assess and recommend the camera's for you, even turn up in a demo van to show the client what they are buying. all you gt to do after is fit it - what a breeze

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay

your going about it the wrong way - tell us whats so special about the new camera and we`ll rip that to bits instead

no one can answer your question 1, 3 and 6 even theoretically without knowing the site and the application - as such there isnt a one size fits all camera

search in here for key words " day/night.." and or " focal length...." or " identify someone on CCTV"

Questions 2, 4 and 5 ? well how long is that proverbial piece of string - no one posts there real figures anway

regards

Angus (no - I havnt got the time LOL)

Firstly, I CAN recommend a car for you to buy - it is conveniently dripping oil outside in my driveway during one of its rare days home from the mechanics! ;)

At any rate, I understand that I am starting from a very ignorant place and no doubt deserved the cold water from both replies so far. I would definitely wait for IFSEC if I could, but I dont set the schedule - such is the life of a management consultant.

Since this seems something with too many permutations to be reasonably covered by on-line posts, is there anyone who would be willing to suffer a telephone discussion with me about the various considerations that go into high-end outdoor surveillance applications ?

Thanks again,

Guid.

we are not really trying with the 'cold water' treatment (anyway, i only deal in hail stones :P ).

normally we (thats the 'royal' we as i'm a e real king arfur) would recommend a pro visit - but er! well thats foxed us as a bit as your trying to be the pro and seem to be writing a sort of wish list synopsis for and i'm assuming a manufacturer.

what your looking for is a quick lesson in cctv design, well sorry that don't exist especially with such a wide target area. you want to state a shop, internal high rs would be easier, but you could be advising on a camera to be use in petrochem.

sp tbh anyone talking to you now will be liable for interminable 'HELP!' phone calls later - and all for free.

as nice a person as i really am - i don't do 'free' for competitors.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Gidmiller,

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

I've been a total charity case for years :lol:

Much of what has already been said by our colleagues is very valid and understandable, although unfortunately it doesn't really help to progress your position.

There are an enormous number of variables involved in Video Surveillance System Profiling and Design, but it is probably fair to say that when considering high end applications, there are a number of specific variables that can easily be standardised simply by using top end equipment; given that the cost is known, it should be possible to produce theoretical estimates for some of the points you've requested, although one or two would indeed be quite impossible to quote with any conviction, without knowing the 'macro' details for the Profile.

If you want to drop me a line, I'm happy to give you some general pointers, but as with all the other guys here, we are all busy people so putting more 'meat on the bones' during a frenetic working day, may be asking a bit much in this situation.

cheers

Jon

Hello,

Putting to one side the technical issues of 'the camera'

are you telling us a company is developing a camera but haven't as yet, a plan/forecast/projections of how it fits in the market and its likely success - or probable failure?

They have contracted you (i do seriously hope they are paying you) to put a plan/strategy together for them yet, based on your post, you know little of the market, technologies and products. You therefore seek advice from a public forum, from people you have no knowledge of and even less, their credentials.

Do you not see how this looks??

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Yes it is pretty pathetic. Actually, it gets even worse...they hired me to write the business plan. :hmm: (As far as whether I am being paid, I suppose that depends on how loosely you define the term ! )

I suppose the possible defense is that the technology was not developed for surveillance. It was developed for a military application and tde developer is now looking into civilian applications.

Regarding seeking advice from a public forum, its true that I have no idea who is responding. But I have already learned a lot from reading back through old posts on this community board so it seemed a promising place to start.

Putting to one side the technical issues of 'the camera'

are you telling us a company is developing a camera but haven't as yet, a plan/forecast/projections of how it fits in the market and its likely success - or probable failure?

They have contracted you (i do seriously hope they are paying you) to put a plan/strategy together for them yet, based on your post, you know little of the market, technologies and products. You therefore seek advice from a public forum, from people you have no knowledge of and even less, their credentials.

Do you not see how this looks??

Archived