Security Installer Community

What Bandwidth For Remote Viewing?

Map Security

What speed do you advise customers when selecting their broad band for viewing CCTV over internet?

With broadband your limited with the upload speeds, so a customer could have an 8000Kb/s download but only around 300-400Kb/s upload. Many of our customers opt for a low speed connection as the upload is generally the same.

If its a large install which requires remote monitoring/other network traffic you can purchase 2 broadband connections and bond the lines together (using a CISCO router etc) , thus doubling the upload/download speed.

What speed do you advise customers when selecting their broad band for viewing CCTV over internet?

With broadband your limited with the upload speeds, so a customer could have an 8000Kb/s download but only around 300-400Kb/s upload. Many of our customers opt for a low speed connection as the upload is generally the same.

If its a large install which requires remote monitoring/other network traffic you can purchase 2 broadband connections and bond the lines together (using a CISCO router etc) , thus doubling the upload/download speed.

Based on my system which is with BT, I get 5MB download with 0.25MB upload.......

Depending on DVR system I use really affects remote viewing speed....H264 really makes a big difference to J2000 in this department even if a sacrifice is made on picture quality!

I see some companies offering 24MB download with 1.3MB upload which obviously is a great improvment over BT's offering.

Hi,

Your quite right H.264 is a far more superior compression for viewing over the internet.

What you also have to keep in mind is that most broadband providers have high contention ratio on the connections. Some have 50:1, thats how they can keep there costs low.

Hi,

Your quite right H.264 is a far more superior compression for viewing over the internet.

What you also have to keep in mind is that most broadband providers have high contention ratio on the connections. Some have 50:1, thats how they can keep there costs low.

Yes Ive worked that out too............Most providers state "Upto 8MB"...this is when your the only user I reckon :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In practice that's not an issue because for remote viewing it's the upload speed at the remote site that is the limiting factor.

Uploads rarely if ever get overloaded (unlike downloads) so I wouldn't worry about contention, except maybe at the viewing station :rolleyes: .

A typical upload bandwidth on a 2Mb line will be about 250Kbps, on a "Max" (advertised as "up to 8Mb") line around 380 (largely irrespective of download speed unless you're a really long way from the exchange) and on some faster lines (or cable) even more.

Uploads rarely if ever get overloaded (unlike downloads) so I wouldn't worry about contention, except maybe at the viewing station :rolleyes: .

Depends if you happen to be sharing the connection with others who run VPN's. Lots of companies use VPN's to form WAN links to other sites / remote users as there cheap and easy to deploy.

We have a site that uses a VPN for external backup of there systems, this forms part of a distributed file system. There's high levels of data running constantly up and down the line.

Archived