Security Installer Community

Dual Power Ac 24v Or Dc 12v - Which Is Better?

kuchars22

HI all,

My Vista camera has dual power at AC24V/DC12V according to the manual. I'm more used to DC 12V PSUs, but does this mean that it can either accept the same DC 12V PSU I'm used to or an AC 24v PSU (like this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...v&doy=7m12)? If I use a DC12v how do I work out what mA I need, and what is the advantage or disadvantage of either PSU?

Thanks

HI all,

My Vista camera has dual power at AC24V/DC12V according to the manual. I'm more used to DC 12V PSUs, but does this mean that it can either accept the same DC 12V PSU I'm used to or an AC 24v PSU (like this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...v&doy=7m12)? If I use a DC12v how do I work out what mA I need, and what is the advantage or disadvantage of either PSU?

Thanks

:yes: it basically means the camera can handle 24volts AC OR 12 volts DC but not both voltages at the same time.

the power cuncumption is stated on the camera label usually on the back of the camera but certainly in the instructions book and as long as the psu is rated higher than the current draw of camera then you should be fine

for example: camera draws 250mA under 12 v dc so your 12 v dc power supply would need to be 500 mA or higher.

hope this helps.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

:yes: it basically means the camera can handle 24volts AC OR 12 volts DC but not both voltages at the same time.

the power cuncumption is stated on the camera label usually on the back of the camera but certainly in the instructions book and as long as the psu is rated higher than the current draw of camera then you should be fine

for example: camera draws 250mA under 12 v dc so your 12 v dc power supply would need to be 500 mA or higher.

hope this helps.

oh and forgot to add i would always use 24 volts ac over 12 v dc if possible. :yes:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Guest anguscanplay

wont matter at your level, but dont pick up your 240v to power AC from different sources (ie one from the house and one from the garage) or you`ll get problems (probably)

wont matter at your level, but dont pick up your 240v to power AC from different sources (ie one from the house and one from the garage) or you`ll get problems (probably)

will only get problems at 240 v level if on different phases and doesnt come from same source consumer unit.

Guest anguscanplay
will only get problems at 240 v level if on different phases and doesnt come from same source consumer unit.

Hmm ? 240 or 24 its all AC - been lots of posts recently about earth loop bars and humbugs, O/P is best sticking to 12v DC

oh and forgot to add i would always use 24 volts ac over 12 v dc if possible. :yes:
Why?What specific benefits do you think an AC supply gives you over a DC supply in this situation?Curious,......
I heard the 24v is preferable in longer runs.
Possibly.An AC supply will exhibit less volt drop over a long run than a DC supply, but using an AC supply is almost always a compromise in any situation.

Bill Boyd.

Core Fire and Security.

www.corefire.co.uk

0845 224 6072

No, it won't matter. It probably won't even be a problem taking the mux supply (e.g.) from the house, and the camera supply from the garage - unless the two are on seperate phases.

Assuming the electrican understood the earthing requirements of BS7671 correctly in any case, and the installation isn't sat on a TT supply.

Regards,

Bill Boyd.

Core Fire and Security.

www.corefire.co.uk

0845 224 6072

Archived