Security Installer Community

Cable Colours

ricool

Hi there, sorry if this post is totally ridiculous but thought I would ask it.

I have ordered an alarm system which I will be installing when I receive it.

What are the recomended colours for each wire to do what? I presume red is +12v black is neutral etc.. - would have thought this will be in the manual, but this leads me to another question, if there is a standard for the colours which I'm sure there is, if you we're a top notch burglar and knew this then isn't it a disadvantage having that standard as the thief could strip a cable and cut say the 12v to a bell box if he had access?...just a though anyway...

Guest Dave the alarm man
What are the recomended colours for each wire to do what?

each firm uses it own some are more common than others

the thief could strip a cable and cut say the 12v to a bell box if he had access?...just a though anyway...

SAB :gimme:

Hi there, sorry if this post is totally ridiculous but thought I would ask it.

I have ordered an alarm system which I will be installing when I receive it.

What are the recomended colours for each wire to do what? I presume red is +12v black is neutral etc.. - would have thought this will be in the manual, but this leads me to another question, if there is a standard for the colours which I'm sure there is, if you we're a top notch burglar and knew this then isn't it a disadvantage having that standard as the thief could strip a cable and cut say the 12v to a bell box if he had access?...just a though anyway...

he should not have access to the cable, many diy installs i se where cables were run surface to the siren, this makes it vulnerable to damage from say window cleaner ladders or direct attack by intruders.

electricity is totally colour blind, so the cables are made with coloured sleeve to help us humans. what ever code you decide on, keep it the same for each device or you will end up in a confusing mess at the controls.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

he should not have access to the cable, many diy installs i se where cables were run surface to the siren, this makes it vulnerable to damage from say window cleaner ladders or direct attack by intruders.

electricity is totally colour blind, so the cables are made with coloured sleeve to help us humans. what ever code you decide on, keep it the same for each device or you will end up in a confusing mess at the controls.

regs

alan

thanks for the advice, don't worry my cables won't be surface run - will get the old chisel out, my thought was that my cables will be running in the floor void of an upstairs room that won't be protected, so theoritcally an intruder could break in via a ladder/window, pull up my floor do what he needs to do and then happy roam in silence, - this is probably 99% not going to happen as its not as if I have the crown jewels - but I suppose this is what alarm comapnies have to consider when kiting out the tower of London.

:unsure:

thanks for the advice, don't worry my cables won't be surface run - will get the old chisel out, my thought was that my cables will be running in the floor void of an upstairs room that won't be protected, so theoritcally an intruder could break in via a ladder/window, pull up my floor do what he needs to do and then happy roam in silence, - this is probably 99% not going to happen as its not as if I have the crown jewels - but I suppose this is what alarm comapnies have to consider when kiting out the tower of London.

:unsure:

this is why and where we do risk assessment when we visit on sales calls,

the type of intruder and what skills they might have and that you might attract.

for a guy to gain access to your 'normal house' bedroom he is unlikely then to set about ripping the floor up to get to the siren cables - he is already in after all, and unobserved so far. but then a vulnerable room would have a pir detector in it perhaps a vibration sensor and contact on the window, even a glass break detector. deciding the amount of detection and type to use for best effect is where part of our skill is used.

i assume your not a bank manager or other high risk person, the sort of intruder who would be clever enough to try an bypass a siren on a house would likely be clever enough to go to a house that is not alarmed if he wanted 'low rent' goods (i'm being respectful to you, it's just how they think).

if you really want to slay this dragon get a company or teo to give you a quote, you can ask these questions direct as they affect your particular home scenrio, you don't have to accept the quote but you might decide it is the best route.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived