Security Installer Community

Tamper False Alarms

Guest Achy

Hi,

I have had a Melcom ST6500 alarm installed for almost 3 years now with no problems at all.

Recently though I have been getting tamper false alarms.

The first time happened in the middle of the night, no apparent cause.

Last night it happened once when I switched a light on, then I was able to recreate it a few times by switching different lights on and off, then it settled down and was ok again, my light switching stopped causing the tampers.

I'm wondering if a fridge kicking in could have caused a power surge in the first cause and turning lights on and off have caused it since.

Could it be a power surge that is causing these tamper faults?

Has anyone got any advice / pointers?

Thanks

Thanks for that.

It's strange that it's just started doing it, is it the sort of thing that can get worse over time with this panel?

Also, is there an easy way to check if the battery is on it's way out?

Whats the average life of a 12V rechargable battery?

Have a read through the diy servicing guide provided on the home page , it will give you tips regarding battery life / testing etc.

Also , has anything changed recently ? wires re-routed (mains cables alongside alarm cables will give problems).

I suspect the light switching test you carried out have been either a bit coincidental (unlikely to be the cause) or more realistically your tamper fault is a damaged cable under the carpet or floorboard your walking on.

It could also be you external sounder or bell (more than likely)

I very much doubt that all of a sudden you are getting mains spikes triggering the system. In good old Mr Spock speak "That would not be logical Captain"

By all means read the DIY servicing guide.

If your not sure how to check out your battery or bell then best advice is to get an engineer in to do it for you.

Why not tell us where you are and no doubt someone here will be able to help you out at a reasonable cost. :rolleyes:

Archived