Security Installer Community

N/o - N/c Having Trouble

andymac

alan i thought you could remember when panels still had valves in them ?

(hands in membership of round table and honery rsty tin of ovaltine) ;)

lol!

well at least you know what valves are,

the first panels i worked on used ex GPO very large relays, later i worked on rely-a-bell panels, same relay's but using mechanical interlock, i think brocks and afa amongst others also used the same basic design.

meant on a pm you had to clean the 'open to air' springs with a piece of note paper, adjustment was with pin nosed pliers to the latch. door contacts were brass kerry clip's on the frame and a bar attached to the door, had to be cleaned with emery cloth - no fancy dan electronics back then - pah!

the 1000ft monoptic rays were mains driven, bigger than a 8mm projector - no standby or backup, used a synchronous turntable motor (from a gramophone) to run a fan with slots in to give modulation from a car headlamp bulb, the receiver had valve's .

very often we bounced the beam around a warehouse using several if not a dozen mirrors at the corners, real bugger to re-align on your own if the fork lift had a little ooops', especially on high side windows. also, try to working out exactely where the sun was flooding the receiver causing fasle alarms in that situation :rolleyes:

most 'service engineers' in here don't know your born by comparison, you knew you had a 'arrived' when the firm gave you a swing needle meter - without a crack glass :)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived