Security Installer Community

Fused Spur For Fire Panels

tinnitus

Yep, " FIRE ALARM - DO NOT ISOLATE " in red

You need double pole isolation, not just fused spur,

We use the MK Grid system, 20 amp DP Key switch and a fuse unit in a 2 gang Yoke and 2 gang face plate

Also you label any and all distribution equipment before it,

saying "Caution this isolator also controls the fire alarm" (or something similar)

Dean Wholey

NCC

Dean.Wholey@Ntlworld.com

Yep, " FIRE ALARM - DO NOT ISOLATE " in red

You need double pole isolation, not just fused spur,

We use the MK Grid system, 20 amp DP Key switch and a fuse unit in a 2 gang Yoke and 2 gang face plate

Also you label any and all distribution equipment before it,

saying "Caution this isolator also controls the fire alarm" (or something similar)

this is wrong. the breaker must say do not switch off but the spur must only say "fire alarm". you must be able to isolate the panel to work on it. i have also in the past marked it "do not switch off/isolate"

it should also be cabled in fp or pyro cable.

anyone else?

25.2 Recommendations for mains power supplies

f) Every isolator and protective device that can isolate the supply to the fire alarm system, other than the

main isolator for the building, should be labelled either:

“FIRE ALARM”, in the case of a protective device that serves only the fire alarm circuit, but

incorporates no switch;

“FIRE ALARM. DO NOT SWITCH OFF”, in the case of a switch (whether incorporating a protective

device or not) that serves only the fire alarm circuit;

“WARNING. THIS SWITCH ALSO CONTROLS THE SUPPLY TO THE FIRE ALARM SYSTEM”, in

the case of any switch that disconnects the mains supply to both the fire alarm system and to other

circuits.

NOTE 3 Labels should be clear and in durable fade resistant material.

g) Every isolator, switch and protective device that is capable of disconnecting the mains supply to the

fire alarm system should be situated in a position inaccessible to unauthorized persons or be protected

against unauthorized operation by persons without a special tool.

NOTE 4 A special tool may, for example, be a key actuator (sometimes called “secret key”) for a mains switch device.

As there is a DP Isolator at the Control Panel i would of thought you would use the middle label

Dean Wholey

NCC

Dean.Wholey@Ntlworld.com

excelent, see i now have the regs but had a recent overview and was told it must only say "fire alarm" i love getting flamed on fire topics. im going to call this geezer up. LOL

The fused outlet at the fire panel should only have FIRE ALARM as it should have no switch.

It should also be as mentioned double pole

Guest Cerberus NI
so was i right then? it should not say "do not switch off"

It must say Fire Alarm in relation to "a protective device that serves only the fire alarm circuit, but

incorporates no switch" - a fused DP spur.

The post by 1019641 relates to what I would consider the minimum signage for each device.

Archived