Security Installer Community

Manufacturer Product Support

Eggy

This is a telephone conversation about an external prox reader for an Intruder Alarm.

PSG = Product Support Guy

Me: Hi, can I ask you a few questions about the ABC external prox reader, please?

PSG: Sure.

Me: I have a system fitted with two entrances and two of your older type external prox readers. One of them packed up, and you don't make it any more, so I ordered one of your newer ones.

PSG: Okay.....

Me: Right, I fitted it as per the instructions, but those instructions are very basic. There's no information on what I should program the keypad o/p to.

PSG: Uh, what keypad o/p? There is no o/p.

Me: The keypad o/p. On the diagram, it shows two leads coming out of the pcb which have to go to a feed and the keypad o/p.

PSG: Oh right - well, just ignore them. They don't do anything.

Me: So why is it on the diagram?

PSG: Because the ABC is a third party access reader that just so happens to read our fobs.

Me: Okay, what about the LEDs? What do they mean? There is a blue one and a red one, but they seem to indicate exactly the same thing.

PSG: Just ignore them.

Me: Just ignore them?

PSG: That's right. It's more access stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.

Me: So from the outside, how do you know if the alarm is set or not?

PSG: Oh, you can't tell. It's not allowed under ACPO.

Me: I thought that was grade 3 only.

PSG: No, no. It's ACPO.

Me: So anyone with your brand of IAS just opens the door and hopes for the best?

PSG: Exactly. Blame ACPO.

Me: We mainly use Castle equipment. It's not a problem for them. Their readers indicate the set state for a couple of seconds when you present a valid tag.

PSG: Well, not ours. We like to follow ACPO.

Me: Alright. Bye.

Archived