Security Installer Community

Isp Without Static Ip

p.jones3

Is there a way around accessing a dvr from a provider that doesn't offer a static IP, without looking for the ip everytime.

or am i screwed. i know i could change the provider to one with a staitc but is going to cost to wench on a 12mnt contract

Is there a way around accessing a dvr from a provider that doesn't offer a static IP, without looking for the ip everytime.

or am i screwed. i know i could change the provider to one with a staitc but is going to cost to wench on a 12mnt contract

Yes, use DDNS (dynamic DNS). Many (most?) routers support this.

BUT, to be honest, given that remote access needs upload bandwidth you need a suitable "business" ISP package with static IP at a reasonable price. This will be better than a "domestic" ISP package "massaged" to fit the needs of DVR access which it isn't really designed for.

Yes, use DDNS (dynamic DNS). Many (most?) routers support this.

BUT, to be honest, given that remote access needs upload bandwidth you need a suitable "business" ISP package with static IP at a reasonable price. This will be better than a "domestic" ISP package "massaged" to fit the needs of DVR access which it isn't really designed for.

ok so if i was to get a domestic isp with a static ip this would be fine? (dont want to goto the cost of a busniess isp)

just had a look at my router and it does have ddns on it. so what would be the host name and how would i find this over the net?

ok so if i was to get a domestic isp with a static ip this would be fine? (dont want to goto the cost of a busniess isp)

just had a look at my router and it does have ddns on it. so what would be the host name and how would i find this over the net?

You have to register with a DDNS service (that your router supports) and they allocate a name or you choose one. Google Free DDNS.

Archived