Security Installer Community

Sky Tv Clash With Alarm

have found mcd's needed with sky hd box, on a bt line with redcare. Have fitted a few recently and problem solved instantly.

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Guest anguscanplay
have found mcd's needed with sky hd box, on a bt line with redcare. Have fitted a few recently and problem solved instantly.

so whos responsibility is it to fit them ? - worked fine before the sky so should they not be carrying them ? bet the customer dont want to pay anyone

so whos responsibility is it to fit them ? - worked fine before the sky so should they not be carrying them ? bet the customer dont want to pay anyone

From a customers viewpoint I'd say you'd LIKE Sky to fit them (correctly, and charge a reasonable fee) but we live in the real world don't we...............

So, it has to be the alarm company. And if it's under contract it should be a "nominal" charge. :rolleyes:

Guest anguscanplay
From a customers viewpoint I'd say you'd LIKE Sky to fit them (correctly, and charge a reasonable fee) but we live in the real world don't we...............

So, it has to be the alarm company. And if it's under contract it should be a "nominal" charge. :rolleyes:

sure but understandably from an alarm company point of view it isnt our problem ( its like when the power is off for more than 12 hours - the issue isnt the flat battery its the missing mains ) so its sky who should be doing the work as they changed the situation hence if you want me to call and do it it`ll cost a lot more than a "nominal " charge

Angus ( well i`ve got to pay for the holiday somehow ! )

sure but understandably from an alarm company point of view it isnt our problem ( its like when the power is off for more than 12 hours - the issue isnt the flat battery its the missing mains ) so its sky who should be doing the work as they changed the situation hence if you want me to call and do it it`ll cost a lot more than a "nominal " charge

Angus ( well i`ve got to pay for the holiday somehow ! )

Well from a customer viewpoint I can't agree. I think it falls into the category of "things that might reasonably happen" like a lengthy power outage. How your contract defines them and deals with them might vary but I would expect it to be dealt with, not free but certainly at a "special" rate. For instance if the contract included call-outs and regular maintenance/service but not replacing damaged parts then I'd expect to be charged for the MCD (at a fair price, not a rip-off) and if it only took a minute or so to fit no labour charge.

It all depends on how you view your customers and what relationship you have with them.

Hark, do I hear rustling in the undergrowth - is Arfur Mo waking up..... :rolleyes:

Guest anguscanplay
Well from a customer viewpoint I can't agree. I think it falls into the category of "things that might reasonably happen" like a lengthy power outage. How your contract defines them and deals with them might vary but I would expect it to be dealt with, not free but certainly at a "special" rate. For instance if the contract included call-outs and regular maintenance/service but not replacing damaged parts then I'd expect to be charged for the MCD (at a fair price, not a rip-off) and if it only took a minute or so to fit no labour charge.

It all depends on how you view your customers and what relationship you have with them.

Hark, do I hear rustling in the undergrowth - is Arfur Mo waking up..... :rolleyes:

you aint getting support that easy - arfur doesnt get back from the greyhound track till later lol

you would get it at a special rate ( just not special to you , special to me but not to you lol ) and just because a real member of the public might read this i am going to quote you twice " and if it only took a minute or so to fit no labour charge".

remember when the customer asked me " did it take you long to get here ?" and i replied " twenty years and a lot of sweat " you fall into the trap of equating time on site with cost - the things dont appear in my van , it doesnt get beamed to your house like an episode from star trek, if it takes me twice as long could i charge you twice as much etc etc you get the drift - i really expected more from a chap of your aptitude

Angus ( that noise in my ears isnt a buzzy bee , its my blood )

and just because a real member of the public might read this i am going to quote you twice " and if it only took a minute or so to fit no labour charge".

Angus, that's a misquote and you know it - you're ignoring the VITAL point I made about that being the case if call-out's were included in the contract :P

And I know full well the costs of obtaining, carrying and replenishing stock, hence I used the term "fair price".

Anyway, whatever the outcome of that charging debate, it's the alarm company who should fix it. They should know how to do it and they definitely don't want the alarm signalling compromised.

Guest anguscanplay
Angus, that's a misquote and you know it - you're ignoring the VITAL point I made about that being the case if call-out's were included in the contract :P

And I know full well the costs of obtaining, carrying and replenishing stock, hence I used the term "fair price".

it was his birthday yesterday so he might even be later

moi missquoting i just clicked copy and paste - aint no alarm firm in the universe (to continue the star trek theme) that will cover a callout to fit a mcd under a maintainance agreement as a normal free callout item.

all the same you guys " i could do it so why should i pay someone else to actually do it - even when they have done it " you might get one as a goodwill gesture to get you off the phone every day ( bit like door contacts on new u-pvc doors ) but your not nieve enough to think it dont go on your bill somewhere surely

Angus ( the bussy bee noise is getting louder now ! )

and stop adding bits whilst im composing a reply lol

Archived