Security Installer Community

Adsl Fault Leads To Game Of Ping-pong (and I'm The Ball)

MBH

Having a nightmare ADSL install for a client atm, service was activated nearly 3 weeks ago on a new line.

I rock up to install the router and check the line itself, connection fine, no noise, correct voltage good dialtone etc

Check the ADSL connection and find there's no sync. It's very soon after activation date so leave it for the w/e in case they're a bit behind on the install.

Still nothing, contact ISP who say its a network fault and refer it to BT.

72hrs later and I've heard nothing so ring back only to be told that BT responded by saying "check customer wiring" I explain (as politely as I can!) to the ISP call-centre type that that was the *first* thing I did and when they referred the call originally I specifically said that I had checked the wiring and accepted liability for the

Is this a totally new ADSL install; definitely not a transfer from a different ISP?

If it is brand new you must keep beating up the ISP.

Make sure you only plug the router directly (using a filter) into the master socket (with faceplate removed and absolutely everything else disconnected). If it doesn't work get the ISP to send another router and filter as you think it's faulty. If it still doesn't work tell the ISP the line is faulty and let them get BT out.

As a check get your own router (personally I like Netgear) and have a look at the status; you'll soon see if there's any ADSL signal. If there is there are other tests you can do to find out where the problem is (usually with authentication); if not it's back to BT via the ISP.

Don't do the ISP's (and BT's) work for them if at all possible they'll just blame you anyway.

I've seen several situations where BT have got their admin wrong and enabled the wrong circuit, though MOST problems (90%?) I've seen have eventually been down to local (extension) wiring issues.

Guest anguscanplay

ours just wasnt connected in the exchange - 3 months and four visits later - bang away at the isp - who is it btw

Thanks for all the advice so far,

Just to clarify I tested the conection using both a new Netgear router supplied by us (with a very healthy profit margin on it I might add... :) ) and a known good one I carry to test installs like this. Tested at master socket with faceplate removed using several filters etc etc

My immediate thought was that the ISP (Eclipse) had screwed up and not activated it (and that's where I'll start tomorrow) but the fact that the Openreach engineer reported a fault made me doubt that....

The cynic in me suspects he simply couldn't be arsed to work out what the problem was...

I have had similar problems on sites, how far is the install from the telephone exchange? my own install took BT 6 months to get working properly, in the end I had to agree to a 0.5Meg service and BT then had to install an NTE2000 as the primary master socket which then meant I didnt need any other filters on the system. Push BT on this matter but they may try to charge you for the NTE2000, around

Finally persuaded BT there was a problem and they rectified an "exchange fault" which solved the problem...

<cynic> who's betting someone didn't connect the DSLAM </cynic>

actually that off hand comment got me thinking... The automated ADSL tests that ISPs and the like can run (and I think can be run from an external access number by Openreach engineers?). I know they can show a device in Sync at the customers end but what else can they actually diagnose? I imagine they are generated from the DSLAM itself? Can it show that it is (or is not) connected to a line? I assume they're pretty basic tests (ie no TDR-like analysis) but what are they actually capable of?

I'm asking purely for personal edification but perhaps one of you BT Gurus out there would care to respond?

Archived