Security Installer Community

Pir Tamper Alarm Recurring

I have a problem with the tamper alarm showing on my Optima compact alarm.

I noticed the alarm panel was showing a tamper alarm on one of the zones, and resetting the panel did not clear it.

I then tried removing and refitting the cover from the PIR of the zone which reported the tamper. With the PIR cover refitted, entering the code and pressing the reset button on the panel seems to fix everything, but then a few minutes later the tamper light comes back on and the alarm makes a warning sound (not a full alarm). The warning sound happens every minute or so. I've noticed that this happens when the LED on the PIR goes on.

I was careful to position the spring on the PIR in the ledge on the cover before replacing it, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem. Is there some knack to this that I am missing?

Any ideas gratefully received!

I noticed the alarm panel was showing a tamper alarm on one of the zones, and resetting the panel did not clear it.

I then tried removing and refitting the cover from the PIR of the zone which reported the tamper. With the PIR cover refitted, entering the code and pressing the reset button on the panel seems to fix everything, but then a few minutes later the tamper light comes back on and the alarm makes a warning sound (not a full alarm). The warning sound happens every minute or so. I've noticed that this happens when the LED on the PIR goes on.

I was careful to position the spring on the PIR in the ledge on the cover before replacing it, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem. Is there some knack to this that I am missing?

Errrm, you haven't wired the Alarm and tamper zones the wrong way round have you?

Sounds as if the alarm relay is triggering the tamper circuit.

On the other hand, is it set to chime?

sound like chime,

press CHIME, if any LED's are on press the corresponding number on the keypad and the leds should extinguish. then press RESET.

Now see if this has cleared the fault.

sound like chime,

press CHIME, if any LED's are on press the corresponding number on the keypad and the leds should extinguish. then press RESET.

Now see if this has cleared the fault.

Brilliant - thanks to both of you who replied. Yes it was chime and the procedure above cleared the problem.

(I assume I must have pressed "chime" at some point in the past to switch this on. What I hadn't mentioned is that when I first noticed the tamper alarm, the keypad was completely dead - the tamper light was on and nothing I could do would reset it. Finally I took the cover off the PIR, this set off the alarm of course, but it also brought the keypad back to life. I then hit the problem described initially. No doubt in all that messing around I must have pressed the chime button).

At least I understand my alarm a bit better now.

Thanks a lot,

Brilliant - thanks to both of you who replied. Yes it was chime and the procedure above cleared the problem.

(I assume I must have pressed "chime" at some point in the past to switch this on. What I hadn't mentioned is that when I first noticed the tamper alarm, the keypad was completely dead - the tamper light was on and nothing I could do would reset it. Finally I took the cover off the PIR, this set off the alarm of course, but it also brought the keypad back to life. I then hit the problem described initially. No doubt in all that messing around I must have pressed the chime button).

At least I understand my alarm a bit better now.

Thanks a lot,

Glad to help, bare in mind that the origional tamper was caused by somthing and needs checking out.

you don't get a tamper fault/lockout for no reason, when did you last/ever get it serviced?

its worth having it done.

Guest BellMan371
Glad to help, bare in mind that the origional tamper was caused by somthing and needs checking out.

you don't get a tamper fault/lockout for no reason, when did you last/ever get it serviced?

its worth having it done.

agreed these types of faults should not happen with good reason ie tampering or some other reason, best to get it checked out professionally and then you will be able to know what caused it in the first place.

cheers

Guest anguscanplay
:no: why?

are we sitting comfortably ...... then well begin

there was a tamper activation , the o/p managed to turn chime on whilst dealing with it - the original tamper may or may not have been the case switch on the indicated zone so the fault may or may not have been mended

plus i always recommend a new battery dont I

Angus

are we sitting comfortably ...... then well begin

there was a tamper activation , the o/p managed to turn chime on whilst dealing with it - the original tamper may or may not have been the case switch on the indicated zone so the fault may or may not have been mended

plus i always recommend a new battery dont I

Angus

are!!! good to know the 'battery mod' is alive and well.

how's those share's doing Angus?

lol

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks for the advice, folks,

I assumed I'd set off the tamper when I was decorating earlier this year (the tampered zone was the room I painted).

We've not had the alarm serviced in the 18 months since we've been in the house, but then actually we've never used it!

Archived