Security Installer Community

Cheapest Way To Get An Outdoor Camera Working With A Pc?

gadgevxr

hi there

my advice to you would be not to use a pc as a recording device as it is prone too much to crashing and viruses wether its a dedicated pc or not. my professional advice is use a standalone dvr maybe from screwfix or HERE and connect a coaxial camera with a bnc type plug and psu as in my opinion the images and quality of the camera both day/night, coloour and mono cameras far outways the ip based systems.

if you still wanted to use a pc then you would need a dvr card which plugs into the pci slot in the back of the machine.

hope this helps.

colin

I use a PC DVR card in a XP machine running 24/7 with no problems whatsoever, standalone DVR's are really cheap now though......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest anguscanplay
try this dvr i have used it, and it wasnt too bad. might be ok for what you need?

dvr

sweet ##### why am i spending over a grand a time when i could use that ?

3 days of realtime recording , well 4cams into 25 fps

you got any footage to post bellman?

From what i've learned, an ip cam is independant and doesnt really need a pc to be connected unless you want to record?

Now if i was to have a dedicated pc for one outdoor cam, can i use any camera then?

Similar rules apply here has they do to your question regarding cameras.

If you don't wat to pay sensible prices, don't expect sensibly performance.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

• 2 months later...

Dear gadgev,

you do not need any special device to view ip camera through network. Camera and PC need to have network connection. You need to know camera's ip address and type it in InternetExplorer. You should get view.

Good and reliable software for 4 cameras which can record and transmit through network and UMTS/GPRS/GSM with watermark and many professional functions are available for over 100 euro. I have written article about it in Security Park:

www.securitypark.co.uk/security_article259880.html

Archived