Security Installer Community

Help With New Install!

First of all I just want to say that i now know why it is recomended to get a pro in to set up a burglar alarm as I am finding out it's not easy to set one up for yourself - bit late now tho, if anyone is thinking about doing this i'd really think twice and make sure you have enough time and patients to do it.

Anyway i have spent the last few nights installing my new kit which is a Texecom Veritas R8 8 zone control panel with remote keypad, it has 2 door contacts (front and back door) and a PIR in 4 rooms. I have managed to get everything installed with all cables burried in the walls and behind door frames etc. Got everthing connected up last night and connected it up to battery and mains this morning and this is where the fun begins. Each time i try to set the alarm Zones 1 (front door) and 2 (PIR) illuminate on the pannel and beeps twice and the alarm will not set the manual says it could be a 'fault' with these zones or they are open when setting the alarm. I have checked the connections and everything seems ok and the zones are definitely closed when setting but the alarm will not set. I have also tried omitting zone 2 from the exit procedure - anyone any idea what could be wrong as i'm slowly losing the will to live.

Any help will be appreiciated!!

good afternoon, first did you do the programming?

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

second --- check the operation of the switch using a multi meter on a continuity test, if it is not make sure the gap between the magnet is not too big ( about 5mm or less), then check the wires are tight, give them a little tug. then make sure they match at the panel and at the switch. it still not found the fault it may be in the wire, so swap onto another pair and repeat the above.

with the pir again check the wire are matching, then check the operation of the pir also using a multi meter

if you still have the two faults then replace the two factory links and try setting the alarms. if it sets i would be thinking to replace the switch and the pir for another, if the fault then still exsists then it may well lay in the wires. there are test you can do to check this, but for now try what i have giving you.( note i am assuming the panel is good because it is new, at the end of the day it may be faulty). good luck,. be patient, and most of all beware of mains, it can kill, always work with the mains removed by pulling the fuse out of the fused connection unit (3 amp). never work with mains live, it will only kill you once.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest anguscanplay
First of all I just want to say that i now know why it is recomended to get a pro in to set up a burglar alarm as I am finding out it's not easy to set one up for yourself - bit late now tho, if anyone is thinking about doing this i'd really think twice and make sure you have enough time and patients to do it.

Anyway i have spent the last few nights installing my new kit which is a Texecom Veritas R8 8 zone control panel with remote keypad, it has 2 door contacts (front and back door) and a PIR in 4 rooms. I have managed to get everything installed with all cables burried in the walls and behind door frames etc. Got everthing connected up last night and connected it up to battery and mains this morning and this is where the fun begins. Each time i try to set the alarm Zones 1 (front door) and 2 (PIR) illuminate on the pannel and beeps twice and the alarm will not set the manual says it could be a 'fault' with these zones or they are open when setting the alarm. I have checked the connections and everything seems ok and the zones are definitely closed when setting but the alarm will not set. I have also tried omitting zone 2 from the exit procedure - anyone any idea what could be wrong as i'm slowly losing the will to live.

Any help will be appreiciated!!

hi gs -

Thanks for all the replies, after a lot of work today I have finally sorted the problems and got the system to work. I have to hold my hand up and say that the PIR problem was my fault as i had not wired it up properly and the door contact must have been faulty as i tried another one and it is working fine now!!

think i will close this topic as the problem is now sorted

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

Archived