Security Installer Community

Maintenance Contracts

Having been installing systems for 12 months now some of my customers are due for there first service, and i'd like to offer them a maintenance contract, i was hoping someone might be able to point me in the correct direction of what should be in one and not for that matter, cheers in advance.

Its a funny old game........

• 3 weeks later...
Having been installing systems for 12 months now some of my customers are due for there first service, and i'd like to offer them a maintenance contract, i was hoping someone might be able to point me in the correct direction of what should be in one and not for that matter, cheers in advance.

Maintenance contracts should never include consumables ie: Make sure you specifiy that battery replacement is chargeable. Also you should specifically exclude 'damage and losses caused by burglary or by malicious intent' 'damage/resets due to electrical outage or brown-outs' 'telephone related notification failures -line might be faulty' 'accidental damage due to third party maintenance - like a nail being fired through a cable'. Stuff like that may appear obvious, but if its not written down in your agreement, you'll find some bright spark who puts in an unfair claim.

Some wireless systems might conflict with other wi-fi systems (like home networks, cctv, hi-fi etc) make sure you exclude problems related to interefence from third party systems especially those installed subsequent to your maintenance contract being put into effect.

You might also want to insist that the customer buys new backup batteries only from you at periodic intervals. You can offer an optional higher premium level that guarantees you'll go and insopect the unit twice a year - work that one out as your normal rate less a discount so the punter can see good value in addition to having peace of mind that the system is regularly serviced.

Hope this helps

Maintenance contracts should never include consumables ie: Make sure you specifiy that battery replacement is chargeable. Also you should specifically exclude 'damage and losses caused by burglary or by malicious intent' 'damage/resets due to electrical outage or brown-outs' 'telephone related notification failures -line might be faulty' 'accidental damage due to third party maintenance - like a nail being fired through a cable'. Stuff like that may appear obvious, but if its not written down in your agreement, you'll find some bright spark who puts in an unfair claim.

Some wireless systems might conflict with other wi-fi systems (like home networks, cctv, hi-fi etc) make sure you exclude problems related to interefence from third party systems especially those installed subsequent to your maintenance contract being put into effect.

You might also want to insist that the customer buys new backup batteries only from you at periodic intervals. You can offer an optional higher premium level that guarantees you'll go and insopect the unit twice a year - work that one out as your normal rate less a discount so the punter can see good value in addition to having peace of mind that the system is regularly serviced.

Hope this helps

Hmmm, I don't necessarily agree with that, it's not a "one size fits all" market.

What you do need to do is make clear whether or not such items are included and maybe give some options.

Some people like to have a "basic" service covered but pay for additional items as and when needed.

Others like to have a "comprehensive" support covering all wear and tear parts and labour, but maybe excluding extreme events that would normally be protected by house/contents insurance.

Others will want a full flat-rate fix anything anyime contract.

And all points between possibly :whistle:

Hmmm, I don't necessarily agree with that, it's not a "one size fits all" market.

What you do need to do is make clear whether or not such items are included and maybe give some options.

Some people like to have a "basic" service covered but pay for additional items as and when needed.

Others like to have a "comprehensive" support covering all wear and tear parts and labour, but maybe excluding extreme events that would normally be protected by house/contents insurance.

Others will want a full flat-rate fix anything anyime contract.

And all points between possibly :whistle:

Good point on the house contents insurance. Might even be worth asking for a copy before writing the contract.

We offer 2 types of contract Basic and Comp

The Comp is a lot more than the basic and we only offer it on our installations.

Basic = RM visit and 24 hour cover all else = a charge

Comp = RM visit and all parts, labour and 24 hour call out covered.

Damage, Flood ETC = A Charge no matter what.

Archived