Security Installer Community

User Code Woes (veritas R8)

bone

Hi there, I have a bit of a problem with the R8.

My mother moved to her new home the other day and was left the old user code for the alarm system. She asked me to change the code to one she could remember and as its similar to our Veritas 8 I thought it would be straight forward.

I followed the instructions:

entered old code

prog

new code

prog

reset

and it seemed to accept teh code fine. I then set the system using the new code, and it set OK, (I was inside the house at this point and standing still ;)) I moved and as I was near the entry PIR it started beeping as you would expect, but I couldnt stop the alarm! I put in the new code, the old code and anything else I could think of (default user and eng code) but it wouldnt shut off. Eventually it timed out and then went off again.

So I took the front off the panel pulled th mais fuse and took the battery off. I also managed to get the bell outside to stop somehow ( a series of fuse and battery plugging and unplugging).

So I guess my 2 questions are:

What teh heck went wrong? and Will my mums bell box go off as the battery starts to drain over the easter weekend LOL!!

Thanks for any advice micky taking or whatever ;)

Oh I didnt mention it has 2 remote keypads, also whilst Im on, she has a small dog so I guess the alarm is of little use with all the rooms having PIR's in them?

may i suggest that if you do not have any more problems, that you let the bank holiday weekend get over, and then get a local engineer in to assist you with your problem. sorry cannot offer to much help.

i think you may of accidentially entered a double number on the code change and not realised, therefore your may be entering the wronge 'new' code that the alarm did not reconise, and the panel may now need reseting back to factory set.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest anguscanplay

ill have a go without the mickey take for once

if you are sure you have entered the code you thought you had changed it to and the default code and the previous code - its difficult when the noise is going to be sure - then it sounds as if you have accedentaly lost the code during the code change proceedure - dont worry we have almost all done it

the problem is you will need to get an engineer to reboot the system and reprogramme it

is it a new house but old alarm in which case its always a good idea to have a service done so one callout and you get it working again and know it will work properly

its posible that it wont sound again with what you described but if it does im afraid its an expensive weekend to callout an engineer

good luck

angus

I wont be calling anyone over the weekend :) Its an old house new(ish) alarm and it had the battery swapped out in Feb (there is a date on it).

I know I put the right code into it, its the same code as we use at home, and I managed to set it as well which is the bit that is confusing me.

I have the installation manual for the alarm although I think I will use a pro to change the alarm if it is possible to make it pet friendly. I have to be honest though, my dealings in the pas with alrm fitters have'nt been all that good. I had dealings with one some years ago who confessed to 'ripping old ladies off' by giving them scare stories when doing routine maint. The company I got out to service mine last year didnt even bother bringing a ladder so he couldnt change the battery as I asked him to when I booked him in the bellk box :(

Guest anguscanplay
I wont be calling anyone over the weekend :) Its an old house new(ish) alarm and it had the battery swapped out in Feb (there is a date on it).

I know I put the right code into it, its the same code as we use at home, and I managed to set it as well which is the bit that is confusing me.

I have the installation manual for the alarm although I think I will use a pro to change the alarm if it is possible to make it pet friendly. I have to be honest though, my dealings in the pas with alrm fitters have'nt been all that good. I had dealings with one some years ago who confessed to 'ripping old ladies off' by giving them scare stories when doing routine maint. The company I got out to service mine last year didnt even bother bringing a ladder so he couldnt change the battery as I asked him to when I booked him in the bellk box :(

bone let me know where you are by pm and i will tell you who to use or avoid i would call myself and show you we arnt all the same but im away next week

did you press the full button after entering the code. because the alarm may be set up for single button press,(this means the number is irrivant to start with) pressing the full button will start the alarm, but only the user code will switch it off.

I have the installation manual for the alarm although I think I will use a pro to change the alarm if it is possible to make it pet friendly.

yes this can be done by changing the pir's to pet sensor and providing your pet is not very active and less than 25kg this will be fine.

I have to be honest though, my dealings in the pas with alrm fitters have'nt been all that good. I had dealings with one some years ago who confessed to 'ripping old ladies off' by giving them scare stories when doing routine maint. The company I got out to service mine last year didnt even bother bringing a ladder so he couldnt change the battery as I asked him to when I booked him in the bellk box :(

sorry to hear about previous experience, some alarm companies are list on here in the police force area section.......

also check with your neightbour for personnel recommendations.......i find a good percentage of my work comes from people that i have done work for recommending me on...

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

bone let me know where you are by pm and i will tell you who to use or avoid i would call myself and show you we arnt all the same but im away next week

are come on your can take your holiday later on :whistle:

Guest anguscanplay

she would kill me its her forty first birthday next year ( banned from saying the number 40 ( ah shucks just did)) and wants to go somewhere hot and sticky to celebrate i suggested a rock factory and she hit me so its fuertaventurer? for a week

she would kill me its her forty first birthday next year ( banned from saying the number 40 ( ah shucks just did)) and wants to go somewhere hot and sticky to celebrate i suggested a rock factory and she hit me so its fuertaventurer? for a week

who wears the trouser then :whistle:

Guest anguscanplay
who wears the trouser then :whistle:

i would go and ask her but she is asleep and wont awake till i take her her morning coffee and toast ( after ive got the boys up and dressed ) lol

Archived