Security Installer Community

Optima Xm6 Help

hello :)

My first post on here, i have an Optima XM6 house alarm, it was installed in '92 and i've been in house since 2000. I have not had it serviced so i don't know when it was last serviced, is this needed?

My main problem is that at least once a day the alarm just goes off and the tamper light is on. I have changed the battery but this has not resolved it.

Anyone have any advice, i have no manual, also is this problem common

Thanks

wm200

My first post on here, i have an Optima XM6 house alarm, it was installed in '92 and i've been in house since 2000. I have not had it serviced so i don't know when it was last serviced, is this needed?

My main problem is that at least once a day the alarm just goes off and the tamper light is on. I have changed the battery but this has not resolved it.

Thanks

wm200

Without an engineers manual (and we can't give you one here - see the rules) you're only option is to call out a professional. It needs servicing regularly, typically at least once a year - and that involves looking at all parts not just the controller.

Most people here would recommend contacting 3 firms to get prices first. As this is generally seen as DIY kit (and is oldish) they may recommend replacing it, so please don't assume they're trying to rip you off if that is said.

Thanks

wm200

This problem could be one of a number of problems from a duff new battery, burnt out charging circuit due to age of old battery, water ingression into contacts, bell or wiring, faulty sensor, or bell tamper fault.

Recommend you have it looked at by an engineer who should be able to pin this fault down pretty quickly.

Regular routine maintenance ie once a year goes a long way to preventing such problems and future damage to your panel and system occcuring.

As above seek out a few quotes, ( although cheepest is not always the best, the engineers knolledge is what you are paying for ).

Clive.

Archived