Security Installer Community

Non Bs Compliant Exisitng Installation

I have inherited a 7 year old domestic alarm system on my new house and am being told by a security company that door contacts will need to be fitted to the front door to comply with the current BS (4737).

I am told that this requirement has only been introduced to the BS in the last couple of years.

As my installation is older than this I am not happy that this work is actually required. A passive detector is already installed to the timed exit route.

Can anybody help ?

Guest anguscanplay

sorry dave9 but if that is the advise you have been given then that would be the minimum work required by that installer to compy with their understanding of the current regs which are now EN50131

hi dave9 and welcome,

they are very correct in saying the front door should be contacted under the current regs (this is very advisable anyway).

as your system is an older installation, you might need to sign a 'acknowledgemnt' of the fact to cover that firms responsibilities to advise you with best intent, so imo there should not be an issue on a siren only system, so unless you want to go onto Police Response i would suggest you ask another company to quote.

did they price for a new contact? if reasonable it is worth having it done.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived