Security Installer Community

Broadband Line Queery

brizee

At a remote site I have installed a dvr to a static IP and can view it remotely no probs. There is one phone on the line and a speech dialler. When i am viewing from home its fine until i dial up on my mobile to switch the lights on at the yard and then the dvr drops me out and freezes.

Im sure i need a filter but not sure where. the speech dialler wires straight in to the incoming line box. And the router wires into a socket further down the line.

I am worried that if i fit the filter between socket and router (which i think would be the norm) i may still get the problem as the dialler is connected into the line before that point.

Am i right in thinking that the phone is taking away part of the data flow from the broadband. All works fine if your just browsing the net and using the phone, its just when video is running. Its an 8mb connection upstreaming at approximately 500kbs.

Any help would be great.

Im sure i need a filter but not sure where.

You need a filter for every telephone device, ideally as close to the master socket as possible.

You can have one filter then plug in multiple phones (via adapters) into it.

The broadband signal should, ideally, also come from a filter at the master socket, if not as close as possible.

The more unfiltered branches of wiring you have the more potential there is to affect broadband. 8Mb is much more sensitive than 2Mb.

Ideally the phone and broadband wiring should be split by a filter at the master socket. Filtered faceplates are great for this.

If you have a Line Seize Unit on your dialler it's potentially a bit more complex, but it doesn't sound like you have...

cheers for the advice, the fact that im using a dialler (menvier sd2) sold really for alarm use it may have a line sieze built in but ill check it out, but the filter will be sorted straight away. I just didnt wanna tell my mate that that would sort it when it might not.

The dvr also has an in built relay which i could switch remotely on the viewing screen which may be a better option rather than using the alarm dialler just because it has spare outputs.

thanks again. Any other advice gratefully received.

Archived