Security Installer Community

Bnc Splitting

Ish

Hi All

The objective is to view the video output from 3 dvr's on 2 monitors each in a different room. The monitors are just for viewing purposes only.

3 x dvr 365's. Take the BNC video out from each one and connect it to a basic 4 channel switcher. Set the switcher to auto switch between the inputs. Then split the bnc out with a bnc spliiter and send a cable to each of the monitors.

Will this work or or is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks

Hi All

The objective is to view the video output from 3 dvr's on 2 monitors each in a different room. The monitors are just for viewing purposes only.

3 x dvr 365's. Take the BNC video out from each one and connect it to a basic 4 channel switcher. Set the switcher to auto switch between the inputs. Then split the bnc out with a bnc spliiter and send a cable to each of the monitors.

Will this work or or is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks

Hi Ish,

simply splitting the cables to the monitors is no good as you need the proper impedance, you can go from Mon 'A' to Mon 'B' using the bnc sockets on the back of Mon 'A' and setting the switch to 'HI Z'.

you can also use a video amp to split the signals, ideal if the monitor has no impedance switch.

you can use a sequencial switcher, but why not use a cheap quad? you can buy a unit from Maplins which will do either and can also sequence through 4 screens then quad for about

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
:yes

i suppose if all channels are used then it would be. Thats alot of cameras. Maybe its a council premises or a school or summut. i doubt its going to be a house tho but you never know

regs

cjt

could you not get a propriertry matrix to handle the camera loop out from the dvr and the replayed footage ?

Thanks for the replies.

It's a total of 34 cams spread out over 3 x 16 ch dvr's. The dvr's are all in one room and each one has it's own tft screen connetced to it via vga out. They are left on multi-cam view 95% of the time.

The building is basically a community youth centre. the cctv system is already installed.

They just want a monitor put in another 2 offices to view the multi-cam view from the 3 dvr's as cheaply as possible.

Guest anguscanplay
Thanks for the replies.

It's a total of 34 cams spread out over 3 x 16 ch dvr's. The dvr's are all in one room and each one has it's own tft screen connetced to it via vga out. They are left on multi-cam view 95% of the time.

The building is basically a community youth centre. the cctv system is already installed.

They just want a monitor put in another 2 offices to view the multi-cam view from the 3 dvr's as cheaply as possible.

office got a pc in it ? network viewer built in to dvr ? job done ! or if not buy a cheap network hub and connect it all together would be the way i would do it

if they have static ip address they or you can dial in as well

not done networking myself but am booked on the system q course to find out all about it

office got a pc in it ? network viewer built in to dvr ? job done ! or if not buy a cheap network hub and connect it all together would be the way i would do it

if they have static ip address they or you can dial in as well

not done networking myself but am booked on the system q course to find out all about it

They do use the network view when they need to review recorded footage but they want to make use of the 2 spare cctv monitors by having them rotating through the multi-cam views from the 3 dvr's. They will be placed in 2 offices where they will be used for general viewing.

Guest anguscanplay
They do use the network view when they need to review recorded footage but they want to make use of the 2 spare cctv monitors by having them rotating through the multi-cam views from the 3 dvr's. They will be placed in 2 offices where they will be used for general viewing.

understand

could you link the outputs from two of the dvrs into the third tell it not to record that numbers input then its just one output to the spare monitors

ie daisy chain them it sholud just be a case of wiring between the three then out to the monitors saves the cost of a new quad splitter just a bit of cable and labour

Thanks for the replies.

hi Ish,

my suggestion using a splitter i think may not cope, given how many camera's involved there might be too many time base sync's involved for the monitors/quad to handle, it would be a 'suck it and see' job.

your safest bet imo is to offer 3 monitors in each remote office (one for each DVR), this is a protective 'gambit' for you, they won't like the idea but thats your 'as a pro' recommendation. the alternatives are 'not recommended' and when they don't like the other options, your not at a tricky argument stage having quoted a price and bought kit 'aginst your best thoughts'.

tread careful on these type's of job, always, always think ahead, make sure what ever is decided it is not your 'fault' as the pro if they don't like it later and the kack hits the fan, then they can't ask/demmand you to alter anything at a loss or cost as it was their decission against your best advice ;) .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived